Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tuesday Intro: High Rising by Angela Thirkell

The headmaster's wife twisted herself round in her chair to talk to Mrs. Morland, who was sitting in the row just behind her. 
"I can't make it out," she said reflectively, "why all the big boys seem to be at the bottom of preparatory schools and the small ones at the top. All those lower boys who got prizes were quite large, average children, but when we get to the upper forms they all look about seven, and undersized at that. Look at the head of the Remove for instance - he is just coming up the platform steps now." 
Mrs. Morland looked. In front of her was the platform where the headmaster stood behind a rapidly diminishing pile of prizes. On each side were the assistant masters, wearing such gowns as they could muster. A shrimp-like little boy in spectacles was coming up to get his prizes.
High Rising
by Angela Thirkell

This is the book that ended the TBR Double Dog Dare a few days early for me. The first novel of Thirkell's Barsetshire series sets the stage and introduces many characters that will appear again and again in later installments. Angela Thirkell has a small, but very loyal group of fans in my blogging circle. I'm enjoying High Rising  immensely and can feel my opinion on series in general shifting.

Have you read Angela Thirkell? What do you think of the opening?




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

19 comments:

  1. I've been tempted by Thirkell but have so far not jumped in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - It's easy to get hooked on her characters!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read her, but you make a convincing argument. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paulita - I've been meaning to read her for ages.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kelley - Guess it depends on how you feel about quite English villages, lol!

      Delete
  4. I've never read this author...I'm not quite sure of it from this excerpt. It did pique my curiosity, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I'm not sure that opening is a good representation, but I'm enjoying the novel very much.

      Delete
  5. Who can resist a (British?) boarding school novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sim - It moved away from the school after the first chapter, but I'm sure we'll return again later.

      Delete
  6. I have not read her and would have to read a bit more to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela Thirkell is new to me but I love that first paragraph. Very visual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boarding schools and English villages, I am in!

    Thanks for joining in JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just ordered a copy of High Rising! This excerpt has me very much looking forward to its arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! We are very glad to have you in our cult. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AUdrey - I'm officially hooked... now I need to find a list of the series in order so I can get the second book!

      Delete
  11. I've never even heard of this author, but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I finished the book on Friday and am hooked on the series. Virago Modern Classics has just reissued the first two, and I hope they choose to release more!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails