Monday, April 29, 2013

Monday Musing

I really meant to write a Sunday Salon post, but somehow the weekend slipped away before I managed to find the time. It was the first warm, sunny weekend since sometime last fall, and I couldn't bear to spend it with my laptop. Spring cleaning the garage took precedence on Saturday - pretty exciting, right? An entire winter's worth of salt, sand, and dust needed to be dealt with. After several hours, the place was so clean, I briefly considered hosting a picnic in the garage! We'll see how long it stays that way. Then there were clothes to be washed, floors to be mopped, and various other indoor chores. Finally, around 5 o'clock, I was able to slip out to the sunny patio with The Thirteenth Tale and a glass of wine. Bliss!

Sunday was even warmer but, unfortunately, I didn't get to spend much time outdoors. We attended Syracuse Opera's performance of The Marriage of Figaro  and afterwards went out for a long, leisurely dinner with friends.

Recent Reading
I've been enjoying a streak of really good books lately that began with The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. (my review). I also absolutely loved the audio version of Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler and will try to get my thoughts together for a post later this week. On Friday,  I finished The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout and, while it's not quite Olive Kitteridge, it reminded me why Strout is one of my favorite authors. I'm still thinking about this novel, but in the meantime you can check my Saturday Sentence for a taste of her writing.

Book Club
My book club met last week to discuss The Paris Wife  by Paula McLain. We selected the title because one member was attending her Maryland friend's book club while visiting, and it was their selection. There were six of us at our the meeting, but only three had finished (a fourth was nearly done).  I listened to the book over a year ago, so my memory was a little hazy. We had a unanimous "liked-but-didn't-love" reaction. The Maryland group, however, had a slightly different opinion - they all loved The Paris Wife.

Our next selection is The Thirteenth Tale  by Diane Setterfield, an all-time favorite of the Maryland group.

Current Reading
My current audiobook is Cooked  by Michael Pollan. I'm very glad to be listening to this one - mostly because I enjoy the author's narration, but I also have a feeling this is one of those books (like The Omnivore's Dilemma) I'd find slow-going in print.


In print, I'm only on page 20 of The Thirteenth Tale  by Diane Setterfield, but my initial reaction is positive. The audio production has excellent reviews, so I'm considering a read/listen combo. This book has been around for a while, and I suspect many bloggers have already read it.

What are you reading this week?

26 comments:

  1. You've got some good books on the go here! Thirteenth Tale is one of my favourites. Cooked sounds like it would be best listened to. I've found I much prefer non-fiction in audio form.

    Happy reading AND listening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish - I'm so glad to know you loved The Thirteenth Tale! I usually prefer nonfiction on audio, too. Somehow it's easier for me to stay focused. The only drawback is that you miss out on photos, maps, charts, etc., so I often end up borrowing a print copy from the library, too.

      Delete
  2. We had a gorgeous weekend in Colorado too, but I spent most of it inside working on graduation quilts for my twins.

    I love The Marriage of Figaro--sounds like a wonderful evening.

    I'll have to check out Cooked--I liked the other Michael Pollan book I read. Maybe my library has an audio version--I agree, this is a perfect kind of book for audio.

    I'm currently listening to The Last Runaway, and finding myself volunteering to run errands just so that I can have some car time in which to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - Our dual graduation took place two years ago - congratulations to your twins! I remember you mentioned Syracuse University last year. Is it still being considered?

      I have an audio copy of The Last Runaway here. Sounds like I need to move it to the top of the pile!

      Delete
  3. I finished The Burgess Boys and was quite taken with it though I have not read Oliver Kitteridge. Found the book quite unusual but have not written a review. Still thinking about it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - It's going to take me a while to sort through The Burgess Boys. Strout is such a great writer. Olive Kitteridge is simply amazing and I loved her first novel Amy and Isabelle, too. Will get to Abide With Me soon, I hope.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Thirteenth Tale yet (although it's on my shelves!) but look forward to doing so. I'm intrigued that your book club seemed to enjoy it so much and will keep it in mind as a title to suggest to my club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke - It was actually the book club in Maryland my friend visited that loved The Thirteenth Tale so much... we'll see what my group thinks of it. I'm enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  5. I am overdue for spring cleaning but we've had such warm (like summer) weather in California that I've been too busy spending all of my time outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen - I still have lots of spring cleaning left to do (amazing how dirty this place gets over the winter), but I'd much rather spend time outside!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved The Thirteenth Tale when I read it years ago; I should probably consider a reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie - Glad to know you loved The Thirteenth Tale! Just the first chapter has me intrigued to know more about Vida Winter (and Margaret, too) and the antiquarian book shop setting is perfect!

      Delete
  7. I've had The Thirteenth Tale in my bookcase for years and have never gotten around to reading it. I think I'll read it next, putting it in front of The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D, which I had originally planned to read next. I cant wait to read what you have to say about it.

    My already long "to be read list" is growing at an alarming rate since I've been reading your blog. I better pick up the pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilea - That's great - we can compare notes on The Thirteenth Tale! Sorry about your growing tbr list ;-)

      Delete
  8. You have read some great sounding books lately. We had a busy weekend as well. Hope you enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - April has definitely been a month of good books. Hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  9. You really have been having great luck with books lately! I've been so frustrated with my book club lately, can't get them to read anything or show up for meetings. I kind of think of it as being as much of a commitment as any other thing I commit; wouldn't it be great if everyone in the clubs did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I haven't had a streak of good books like this in a long time! Sorry to hear about your book club frustration. We actually have 18 members in my group, but are very happy if 8 show up for meetings. Even happier if at least 6 read the book ;-)

      Delete
  10. I have started listening to The Thirteenth Tale but can't seem to get into it - I also heard great reviews of the audio so I wonder if I just need to give it a bit more time.

    You certainly had a productive weekend - bring on the good weather - I am glad Spring is finally here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booksnyc - I ended up downloading the audio and will make it a read/listen combo. The voices drew me in instantly and I'm already curious about what's ahead. Think I only listened to a half hour. Maybe a little more time might help you, but if it doesn't I'd move on to something you really enjoy.

      Delete
  11. Just when most of the world is heading into the outdoors we here in the desert are heading out of it! We just had our first 100 degree day and the sun is brutal. Nothing outside for me until October or November.
    I can't wait to read The Burgess Boys. This week I am devoting my reading time to The Enchanted April and, just like the Italian days, it is very leisurely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn - Oh, I loved The Enchanted April!! It's almost as good as an actual vacation in Italy :-)

      Delete
  12. Your love for Calling Me Home had me clicking the link and purchasing it!! thanks so much. I've been trying to figure out which book to use my credit on this month. I think you've had some amazing books this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci - I'm SURE you will love it... be warned that some parts are very sad. I listened on the way to my haircut and walked into the salon with tears in my eyes. That was a little embarrassing!

      Delete
  13. The Thirteenth Tale is a perfect book for readers. I hope you all LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye - I'm liking The Thirteenth Tale more and more as I turn the pages!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails