Saturday, September 26, 2026

Summer Reading Wrap-Up


Fall is here. The meteorologist says it arrived at 8:05 PM on Tuesday, but for me autumn always begins with my first pumpkin spice latte! That happened last Saturday. So before I get too carried away with the colors and flavors of the season, l'll pause for a summer reading wrap-up. As you can see from the photo, I had the extra pleasure of late August and September reading on the rooftop of our NYC rental.

Here is the original list I posted in June, along with a note on how I fared with each title:

BOOK CLUB

Dolly All the Time by Annabel Monaghan  ✅   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (my review)

Sisters of a Halved Heart by Nayantara Roy ✅   ⭐⭐⭐⭐  (my review)

AUSTEN IN AUGUST

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, David Shapard ✅  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (my review)

Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley - In progress, 70%, now on the back burner 

The Other Bennett Sister  by Janice Hadlow ✖ - I wasn't in the mood for a retelling.


NEW RELEASE PRIORITIES

Whistler by Ann Patchett ✅   ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐  (my review)

John of John by Douglas Stuart ✖ - I'm still on the library hold list

Villa Coco by Andrew Sean Greer - DNF, 20%

Summerland Cove by Ellen Baker ✅   ⭐⭐⭐⭐  (no review yet)

ONGOING GROUP READ
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy ✅ - 78%, still on schedule


I'm happy to have finished so many books on that original list. In addition I also read two early fall book club selections and several impulse reads. Those included:


Troika by Irena Smith  ⭐⭐⭐💫 (book club, my review)


Finding Grace by Loretta Rothschild ⭐⭐⭐💫  (book club, my review)


Murder takes a Vacation by Laura Lippman ⭐⭐⭐💫 (mystery, my review)


The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 (classic, my review)


Departure(s) by Julian Barnes  ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 (literary fiction, my review)


Kin by Tayari Jones ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (literary fiction, my review)


Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (classic, my review)


How was your summer reading? Did you stick to your original list?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails