Sunday, January 14, 2024

My Year in Books: 2023 Reading Reflections and 2024 Intentions



Before we get too much deeper into January, I'd like to share my 2023 reading reflections and lay out some intentions for the year ahead.

Overall, 2023 proved to be a better year for us than 2022. We began to recover from Hurricane Ian, spent a lot of time with family, celebrated one daughter's wedding (and have another to look forward to in 2024), and gained a wonderful son-in-law. On the reading front, it was a very satisfying year.

By the numbers:

48 books read - lower than my usual one book per week 
79% fiction, 21% nonfiction  - the downward trend for nonfiction continues
69% female authors, 31% male
67% new-to-me authors, 33% repeat authors 

rereads: 8%, much higher than usual
in translation: 8%
classics: 13%
"big books" over 400 pages: 23%
average rating: 4.2

Format:
58% read/listen combination 
27% print
15% audio  

Source:
42% own 
31% library
27% own + library (for read/listen combos) 

Shortest book / Longest book
The Shortest Day by Colm Toibin, 31 pages
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry 964 pages




2023 SUCCESSES

Read/listen combinations:  These continue to account for the majority of my reading and I tried to get an audio copy of every book I read. I primarily read one book at a time and love listening to my current read while walking. Total listening time, however, was down this year due to recurrent knee injuries.

Reading big books: Setting a lower goodreads goal in 2023 allowed me the freedom to read long books without worrying about overall numbers. Nearly 25% of the books I read were over 400 pages.

A loose monthly reading plan: This was my second year of using a loose monthly reading plan. Having a list of "possibilities" worked well, and I gave myself permission to stray from it occasionally.

Joining the Modern Mrs. Darcy book club: I joined MMD in May for the summer reading guide, then decided to stick around. I've enjoyed most of the selections (a couple ended up on my list of favorites), along with the author chats, book discussion forums, and events. The Lonesome Dove community/buddy read was a highlight of the year.


INTENTIONS FOR 2024

Opt out of the goodreads challenge... at least for now. 

Lean into big books: 2023 reminded me how much I love getting lost in sprawling novels, so my first book of 2024, and still my current read, is the 977-page Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. It's excellent!

Make a priority TBR list: My goodreads tbr (to be read) list is ridiculously long. I've decided to keep a much shorter, fluid "priority" list to consult as I plan monthly reading possibilities.



I look forward to sharing another year of books and reading with you. 







26 comments:

  1. This was just delightful to read. And to tell the truth, it was rather encouraging to me. I read so many blog posts by people who read 100!!! books in a year. I stopped doing any challenges years ago because I don't want to feel stuck in one. When I finish a book, I often walk around the house, and come upon a book and read it. I actually love nonfiction the best. I really should write more about my books. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - I'm so happy to hear you found this encouraging... especially since I'm almost embarrassed by the numbers this year. Instead of the numbers, I'm trying to focus on how much I enjoyed the books I did read - especially some of the longer ones, prize nominees, and book club selections. I hope you decide to write about your books again!

      Delete
  2. 2023 was a successful year for you! I'm impressed with the 900+ page books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - The group read helped me get through the 900+ pages of Lonesome Dove!

      Delete
  3. You might want to consider taking a look at Storygraph as an alternative to Goodreads. I just joined it, and from what I can tell, it's got a data-driven role that's pretty interesting, along with the usual reviews. And they also allow fractions for reviews--4.5, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - I've considered storygraph and should take a closer look. Love all that data!

      Delete
  4. I am particularly impressed with the number/percentage of books you read off your own shelf and the big books that you read! I do see an advantage to a lower number reading goal so that you allow more big books into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I probably should have checked to see how many of those I owned at the beginning of the year vs those purchased (or audible credit used) during the year. Think that would have been more telling!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't tell you my stats but I did have a very good reading year. Currently I have a large stack of books to get me though March easily and all books I have been meaning to read for a while. Loving Coming Home and want to read more Pilcher soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - It seems to me that you read a ton of books last year! Most of my priority TBR list are books I already own, so I have a pretty big stack waiting now, too. Coming Home is such a good read!!

      Delete
  6. I get occasional email from Mrs. Darcy's group. I like seeing her posts.

    I set a Goodreads goal that I can easily accomplish---I tend to prefer shorter reads, though that may change, I think. (I never used to like rereads, and now I've come to enjoy them a lot!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - After reading one of those really long books, I like to follow up with something short. It feels good to finish another book so quickly!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on a great reading year, JoAnn. I hardly ever tried the combination read/listen thing until I saw how well it works for you. In the past, I only did that when I was in danger of not finishing a book on time due to library restraints. But I tried it three or four times in 2023, and I found it quite enjoyable and useful, especially the continuity it provide me when I had a certain momentum built up. Every year, I tell myself that this is the year that I make a real dent in my TBR list, especially the ones that are already staring me in the face from my shelves every day. And it never happens. I really need, at the very least, to quit buying so many books because this is getting ridiculous now. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I'm so glad the read/listen combination has worked for you, too. To me, it seems like total immersion in a story... especially in the case of my longest books, Lonesome Dove and The Covenant of Water. I've decided that the 'books I own' stat would have been more useful if I'd noted WHEN I purchased a book. Was it already on my shelf at the beginning of the year? Many represented audible credits used, while others are the result of shopping at my favorite CT indie, R.J.Julia. Our bookstore here on Sanibel is on track to reopen sometime this winter/spring, so I'll certainly need to support them when they do. I will track all the 'owned' books more closely this year.

      Delete
  8. JoAnn, loved reading about your 2023 year in books. I think you are the one that encouraged me to try read/listens - and I do those quite a bit. Not always, but often. Hope your reading plans all work out for 2024 - glad you enjoying COMING HOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - I'm so glad you and others are enjoying the read/listen combinations, too. They add so much to my reading life! Coming Home is such a wonderful reading experience, and even better to be buddy reading it with Tina. The perfect start to 2024!

      Delete
  9. JoAnn so glad this past year was much better and to hear of all the great things like weddings and recovery from the hurricane! It's so fun to see stats and to hear about your reading goals. Here's to many more moments of joy and great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - 2023 was a really good reading year, especially for the chunksters! I'm looking forward to more in 2024 and wishing you a year of great reading, too.

      Delete
  10. You had a good year. I'm impressed with your audio/print combos and your long book reads. How you polish them off is terrific. I have not read a long book since Demon Copperhead, and I seem to do just one a year of the epic tomes. I'm glad you like them. I still want to do Lonesome Dove sometime. I like how you dont pressure yourself either with GR goals. Nice just to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I read so many really long books last year and there are quite a few if them on my list for 2024. Want to make sure I don't avoid them just to meet some sort of arbitrary reading goal... just want to read what I feel like reading!

      Delete
  11. I am glad you had such a good year, JoAnn. It's such fun to see everyone's reading stats. You had a great reading year. Your goals for this year sound very reasonable! My Goodreads Challenge goal is ridiculously low--on purpose. I hope to complete it this month and then see how high I can get over 100% the rest of the year. Haha. Seriously though, I do want to read bigger books this year. Maybe not a lot, but some. Good luck with your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - Very sensible strategy! I don't want a goodreads goal to influence how and what I choose to read.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed this post so much, JoAnn. I was rearranging my TBR bookshelves yesterday and put together a large stack of books that are over 400 pages. I have well over a dozen of those that I intend to read this year. I'm not going to worry about my Goodreads' goal, even though I set it at the beginning of the year. It's all about pleasure and not the year-end stats, right? Happy reading to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I was surprised to have read such a high percentage of long books, and even more surprised to have so many among my favorites! That's primarily why I decided to start the year with Pilcher's Coming Home... and it's proving to be an excellent choice. Hope to finish that in the next day or two. What an amazing book!!

      Delete
  13. Looks like you had a pretty great reading year in 2023. Your goal to read more big books without worrying about hitting a specific number is probably smart; after all, ultimately reading is supposed to be enjoyable and fulfilling, not a kind of tick-the-box stressor, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails