Monday, April 10, 2023

Book Review: I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU by Rebecca Makkai


by Rebecca Makkai
Viking, 2023
448 pages

audio edition narrated by Julia Whelan
Penguin Audio, 2023
14 hours and 4 minutes


Motivation for reading:
I loved Makkai's earlier novel, The Great Believers, and have been eagerly awaiting her next offering.

Source:   ebook and digital audio borrowed from the library

Publisher's summary:
A successful film professor and podcaster, Bodie Kane is content to forget her past—the family tragedy that marred her adolescence, her four largely miserable years at a New Hampshire boarding school, and the murder of her former roommate, Thalia Keith, in the spring of their senior year. Though the circumstances surrounding Thalia’s death and the conviction of the school’s athletic trainer, Omar Evans, are hotly debated online, Bodie prefers—needs—to let sleeping dogs lie.

But when the Granby School invites her back to teach a course, Bodie is inexorably drawn to the case and its increasingly apparent flaws. In their rush to convict Omar, did the school and the police overlook other suspects? Is the real killer still out there? As she falls down the very rabbit hole she was so determined to avoid, Bodie begins to wonder if she wasn’t as much of an outsider at Granby as she’d thought—if, perhaps, back in 1995, she knew something that might have held the key to solving the case.


My thoughts:

If I had not read and loved The Great Believers, I probably would not have picked up this book based on the plot description. Additionally, if loving The Great Believers, was my sole motivation for choosing I Have Some Questions for You, I would have been sorely disappointed. Luckily, I had been forewarned that the two novels were completely different... and decided to read it anyway.

At it's heart, I Have Some Questions for you is a literary murder mystery, and a really good one! Makkai's writing is crisp, fresh, and pulled me right into the story. I'm always down for a good boarding school novel. Plus, I enjoyed the reminiscences of the 90s and the aspect of high school memories and re-examination of those experiences as an adult. I also loved the legal drama aspect. (Note to self: read this type of book more often.)  

What surprised me though, was everything else I found in the novel - a #MeToo movement storyline, the social justice aspect, and even some feminist rage. There is a lot here and Makkai does it very well. I found this to be an enjoyable page turner from a talented author.

A note on the audio production:  Like most of my reading lately, I Have Some Questions for You  was a read/listen combination. Over the past few years, Julia Whelan has become a favorite narrator. Her voice has a slight edge, maybe even barb, to it and that really suits this story perfectly. I'm glad I added the audio to my reading experience.

Bottom line: This IS NOT The Great Believers, but if you're open to something totally different from a proven talent, I Have Some Questions for You  could be just the thing!

My rating: 



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review. I may add it to my list to read, I haven't read anything by this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I really enjoyed this one and it makes me think I should give true crime a try. I usually enjoy legal dramas, but don't seem to read very many.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to listening to this one. I both of the books in my audio queue and will start with this one so I can be even more impressed with The Great Believers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - Makkai's novels are so different, and it's to her credit that she can write so well both genres. Literary fiction appeals more to me and I have a particular soft spot for stories about AIDS in the 80s and early 90s... so The Great Believers is hands down my favorite. But I really enjoy legal dramas and would like ot read more of them.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad this one surprised you in more than one way. It sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - It really was! I might need to try more crime/legal dramas.

      Delete
  4. Good review. I just started the audio of it and I'm liking it quite a bit so far. I think I'm only on Chapter 10 but I'm liking her old high school memories. And while I liked Makkai's Great Believers (very sad!), I didn't really care for her novel before that called The hundred-year House. But I think I'm going to like this one. The narrative seems to run on at a clip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - You know, I somehow assumed The Great Believers was Makkai's first novel. Never even looked at The Hundred-Year House... hmmm. I'd be surprised if you don't like this one... the pages do turn quickly!

      Delete
  5. I've been hearing a lot about this one and so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I actually noticed I do have The Great Believers on my Kindle and had just forgotten about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - The Great Believers is a completely different kind of novel. It focuses on the early years of the AIDS epidemic in Chicago... I thought it was fabulous!

      Delete
  6. I love the title of this one and it sounds like an amazing read. I haven't read this author before but I need to add this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - This was such a compelling read! I need to seek out more books like this.

      Delete
  7. Just requested the book based on your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails