Saturday, March 18, 2023

Thoughts on THE LATECOMER by Jean Hanff Korelitz

 


by Jean Hanff Korelitz
Celadon Books, 2022
439 pages

Audiobook narrated by Julia Whelan
Macmillan Audio, 2022
16 hours and 19 minutes

Publisher's summary:

The Latecomer follows the story of the wealthy, New York City-based Oppenheimer family, from the first meeting of parents Salo and Johanna, under tragic circumstances, to their triplets born during the early days of IVF. As children, the three siblings--Harrison, Lewyn, and Sally--feel no strong familial bond and cannot wait to go their separate ways, even as their father becomes more distanced and their mother more desperate. When the triplets leave for college, Johanna, faced with being truly alone, makes the decision to have a fourth child. What role will the “latecomer” play in this fractured family?

A complex novel that builds slowly and deliberately, The Latecomer touches on the topics of grief and guilt, generational trauma, privilege and race, traditions and religion, and family dynamics. It is a profound and witty family story from an accomplished author, known for the depth of her character studies, expertly woven storylines, and plot twists.


My thoughts:

This novel checked so many boxes for me, and I think the best way to "review" it is to list them.

Let's start with the writing. I've long appreciated this author's smart, sharp style. Here, it is evident from the opening paragraph, which I actually read with a sense of awe:
The Oppenheimer triplets - who were thought of by not a single person who knew them as "the Oppenheimer triplets" - had been in full flight from one another as far back as their ancestral petri dish. Not one of the three - Harrison (the smart one), Lewyn (the weird one), or Sally (the girl) - had a speck of genuine affection for either of the others, or had ever once thought of a sister or a brother with anything resembling a sibling bond, let alone as counterparts in a tender and eternal family relationship.

Plot. You all know I love a good family drama and, beginning with the premise, this is unlike anything I've come across. Its complexity and gradually unfolding storyline made for a thoroughly absorbing reading experience. As secrets (which everyone seems to have) and past events come to light, the reader slowly pieces together what makes each character tick. Unexpected twists and developments kept me thinking about the story even when I wasn't reading!

These characters were all so interesting! While none of the the main characters are especially likable, neither are they horrible... well, maybe just one of them is. The parents were fascinating, either hiding or denying reality. But I really enjoyed the triplets... watching them grow up, evolve, and try to forge adult lives. I marveled at the utter dysfunction of every single family relationship. I was especially intrigued by the role and character of the "latecomer." Through sheer determination, she was instrumental in helping them all face and then attempt to come to terms with the past. Even the minor, more peripheral, characters were extremely well-drawn and served an important role in advancing the story.

The setting, too, was right up my alley. I do love a good New York City novel, but this had additional draws. Two of the triplets, following in their father's footsteps, go to Cornell, so we had multiple chapters set in Ithaca, NY. And finally, the annual end-of-summer triple birthday gatherings took place at the family's summer home on Martha's Vineyard.

All of these factors would have been enough for me to easily rate this novel 4.5 stars...

...but I decided to make it a read/listen combination. The audio production, narrated by Julia Whelan, added even more to my experience. Over the past couple of years Whelan has become a favorite. Her crisp, sharp, and (dare I say?) slightly snarky delivery was just perfect for this story. It elevated The Latecomer to a 5-star read for me!



14 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I do have this one on my kindle and look forward to reading it. I love family dramas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana. I love family dramas, too, and this one was excellent. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good so I'm glad to know you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - The premise grabbed my attention, but the writing and story kept me reading.

      Delete
  3. 5 stars! So much fun to enjoy a book that much. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - It seems like I haven't had a 5-star read in a while. This was a treat!

      Delete
  4. This looks interesting but the fact that Julia Whelan is the narrator really moves it up the TBR! This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - Julia Whelan is such a great narrator and she was perfect for this story!

      Delete
  5. It's on my Kindle wait list at the library so I am looking forward to it. Love the photo with the Gulf background :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I read the ebook, the borrowed the hardcover from the library to take that photo! ;-)

      Delete
  6. If it's anything like The Most Fun We Ever Had, I'm in. However, if it's more like The Nest (which I couldn't finish), then I'm out. I do love JW as a narrator, though, so I may still give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I think it's much more like The Most Fun We Ever Had, which was my favorite novel of 2020. The Nest was a 4-star read for me and I classified it as a beach read.

      Delete
  7. I love Julia Whelan‘a narration! Will check this one out. Thanks for your high recommendation! BTW, there’s a movie coming out this year entitled Oppenheimer. Wonder if it’s related to this family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti - Had to look up that movie and it's about the life of physicist J Robert Oppenheimer and his work on the Manhattan Project... sounds really interesting! Julia Whelan's narration was perfectly suited to this story. Hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails