Sunday, February 26, 2023

The Sunday Salon: February 26, 2023

 


Hello, friends. It's been a couple of weeks since my last update and, overall, the island is still slowly recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Ian. A couple more businesses have opened, FEMA debris haulers are everywhere, and there seems to be an uptick in building demolitions. 

This past week my sister and BIL were over on the east coast, so we decided to take a break from the destruction and drive across Alligator Alley to join them. A couple nights at a hotel on the beach with warm weather, cool breezes, and lush vegetation was just what we needed! The photo above is an east coast sunrise.


Recent reading//


by Anonymous
narrated by Gabra Zackman, Lyle Lovett, J. Smith-Cameron

Part memoir and part joyful romp through the fields of imagination, the story behind a beloved pseudonymous Twitter account reveals how a writer deep in grief rebuilt a life worth living.

Do you follow Duchess Goldblatt on twitter? This is a lovely memoir, but one which would have been even more enjoyable if I'd been a DG follower from the very beginning. In case you're unfamiliar with her, this New York Times article will bring you up to speed. I listened to this one and Lyle Lovett narrating his own texts, letters, and conversation was an added bonus.






A Brother's Blood by Michael C. White

In the final days of World War II, Dieter Kallick, one of 200 German prisoners of war pressed into service at a Maine logging village, escaped into the woods. His body would later be found washed up on the shore of Moosehead Lake. Decades later, Wolfgang Kallick arrives in this same rural town, hoping to unravel the mystery of his brother's death. His questions trigger disturbing, long-dormant memories in Libby, a flinty Yankee store owner, and she is drawn inexorably into the drama when she realizes that her own family is involved in the case. Then Libby's own brother is killed. Suspecting that the two deaths, though nearly a half-century apart, are somehow linked, she undertakes her own investigation, not realizing that behind the sullen silence of her close-knit town lies a festering secret darker than she ever imagined.

This WWII historical fiction with a mystery is not my typical fare, but I decided to pick it up after meeting the author and his wife. We all had an enjoyable dinner and, naturally, talked a lot about books. At one point, the conversation turned to WWII POW camps in Maine... something I'd only learned about through reading  Oh, William! by Elizabeth Strout. Turns out a Maine POW camp figures prominently in Micheal's first novel (published in 1996) so I decided to give it a try.

I've spent time in that part of Maine, so particularly enjoyed the setting. I also appreciated gradually coming to understand the characters and their motivations, the building suspense, and finally, the unexpected resolution. 





Current reading//


Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

This author's books are often mentioned during Nonfiction November, and last night I discovered this ebook on my library's website. Just 15% in, but I can already see why so many bloggers love her work.




by Patrick Bringly, narrated by the author

A fascinating, revelatory portrait of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and its treasures by a former New Yorker staffer who spent a decade as a museum guard.

I love the Met and just used an audible credit for this new release. Not sure whether I'll get started now or wait until my library hold of the print edition is available...



The week ahead//

We don't have any big plans this week, just a couple of meetings and appointments. Maybe that means I'll be able to finish another book before the end of the month... fingers crossed!


How was your week? What have you been reading?



The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date.













32 comments:

  1. JoAnn, so glad to hear that you guys got a bit of a break from your clean-up, reno stuff. Bet that staying in a hotel and doing a little pampering was just the thing. Take care and we are right at the end of our house stuff. Can you believe it? We will have final measurements for the shutters for the windows and then will be waiting for those to come in, but we are almost, almost there - Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - It was a real spur-of-the-moment decision, which is totally not my style, but definitely just what we all needed. So glad you are finally nearing the end of your project. It's been a long haul for you guys and this must be such a relief!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear things are still going toward clean up, that photos is beautiful and must have been amazing in person! As soon as I Googled Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life and read what it was about, I bought a copy. Can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - This is really going to be a long recovery, but the island will get there. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life is not like anything else I've read... hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

      Delete
  3. I bet the clean up is an incredible job. Moving forward though and that's good. Some great books in your lineup, I wish I'd get my reading mojo back.

    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - Hope you find a book that catches your interest soon. Reading slumps are so discouraging! Sometimes light nonfiction (memoir or fun topic) or a fast-moving fiction works for me. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Wishing you happier times when all is tidy again! Sounds as if getting away for a bit is a great idea.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The break to the East coast sounds perfect and so needed! I love the look of your books this week - especially All the Beauty in the World. That looks fantastic. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - The break was great and it was so good to see my sister! Glad you guys are feeling better.

      Delete
  6. I love the Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. I am so glad you are reading it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - I just realized your blog is where I most recently saw this book... thank you!

      Delete
  7. Lyle Lovett eh? That's worth the price of admission. Loved his songs in the '90s. I'm glad you got a break on the east side. Looks pretty & peaceful. Enjoy the end of Feb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - Lyle Lovett started following DG on twitter... she'd been a fan of his for ages & was thrilled. They later met at one of his concerts and became real life friends!

      Delete
  8. When we were inundated with 40 inches of rain in 24 hours in 1979, everyone we knew was hit with flooding. The cleanup took forever. I understand.

    Thank you for bringing Becoming Duchess Goldblatt to my attention. I am eager to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - This is definitely going to be a very long process! The easy coast escape sure was a nice break.

      Delete
  9. Staying at a hotel is always fun :). The nonfiction books you're reading sound really interesting. I want to read more memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aj - Lots of people don't like hotels, but I enjoy them. Guess I've been in a nonfiction mood lately!

      Delete
  10. My name is Joann too just spelled differently!! A Brothers Blood is now on my want to read list. I hope all is well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo - Nice to meet you! There was a slow section in the middle of A Brother's Blood, but it was very enjoyable overall.

      Delete
  11. Your little get-away sounds like it was a good idea. Warm weather sound lovely right now. It's currently raining (again) and we're due to get more snow tonight. Glad we don't have to go anywhere, but I sure would like some dry, warm weather.

    I need to get a copy of An Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. I think Deb was the first to bring it to my attention, and it sounds right up my alley!

    I recently started The Lincoln Highway and I'm really enjoying it. It's a big book to prop up while reading in bed, but I'm making it work. Amor Towles is quite the wordsmith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - That little escape was exactly what we needed! Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life is such an enjoyable read... like a breath of fresh air. The Lincoln Highway was quite an adventure. It didn't have the lasting impact of A Gentleman in Moscow, but I will read anything Amor Towles writes. Hope your snow and rain has come to an emd by now.

      Delete
  12. The Duchess Goldblatt memoir looks good, but I didn't follow any of it on twitter so I don't know if I'd get as much out of the book as I could. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym - It's a great story, but even better if you're familiar with the players. Still glad I read it though.

      Delete
  13. Our terrible storms and weather have been a regular feature of our lives these days. Hopefully we will enjoy a nice spring and summer.

    Your books look good. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - The weather has impacted so many lives these past few years and it sure seems to be getting worse. Hope we both enjoy a calm spring!

      Delete
  14. I am sure clean up on the island will take a long time; it's great you got a break from it all and had a wonderful relaxing time. The books you're reading sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - The island had a big triumph today... our lighthouse was turned on again today, 5months to the day after the storm. It was an important, symbolic moment for the community.

      Delete
  15. Glad you were able to have time away and that it was enjoyable! Looking forward to one at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - We really appreciated the time away... definitely good for mental health! Hope you enjoy your vacation at the end of the month.

      Delete
  16. Great to catch up with what you've been reading. I just put my name on the library wait list for the Duchess Goldblatt memoir. Fascinating--never heard of DG on Twitter or elsewhere, but I love the premise. A Brother's Blood does sound like my usual fare, so it's now on the list as well. Glad to hear your island is on the road to recovery. We had a major flood 10 years ago this fall in northern Colorado, and you can still see some scars but the reclamation (natural and helped by gov't) has been remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - I'm sure scars will be visible after ten years here, too, but the week by week progress is encouraging. Wish I'd caught on to Duchess Goldblatt earlier, but the memoir was still a good, inspiring read. It also provided the background and context I'd been missing on twitter.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails