Sunday, July 31, 2022

July Wrap-Up and a Look Ahead to August


Hello, friends. How's your summer going? As July ends we still have half the season ahead but, back in Florida, kids are getting ready to return to school on August 8th. That seems so early!

Looking back over July, the highlight was a surprise birthday visit from our oldest daughter and her boyfriend. They'd been traveling for several weekends and were looking forward to finally spending one at home. But when we arrived at the restaurant on my birthday, they were sitting at the table waiting for us! It's practically impossible to surprise me... can't believe they pulled it off!

Other high points included a 4th of July visit from Twin B and her boyfriend, our trip to central NY to see my parents, and a couple of evenings spent with new neighbors. 

I also had a really good reading month. After finishing The Grapes of Wrath, my reading plans went completely off the rails and I picked up whatever caught my eye. As for blogging and writing reviews, that just didn't happen. Here's my attempt to recap July and catch up with mini- reviews. 


Books Read in July//


The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

I'd been meaning to reread this classic for a decade, but finishing The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah made me pick it up immediately! The similarities between the two are striking. Hannah's novel is more of a page-turner but Steinbeck's is, of course, far superior. I have a post about this "Dust Bowl Deep Dive" in my draft folder and will work on finishing it this week.




The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary

After all the hardship of the Dust Bowl, I needed something light and fun. This British romance was just the thing! 
"Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they’re crazy, but it’s the perfect solution: Leon occupies the one-bed flat while Tiffy’s at work in the day, and she has the run of the place the rest of the time. 
But with obsessive ex-boyfriends, demanding clients at work, wrongly imprisoned brothers and, of course, the fact that they still haven’t met yet, they’re about to discover that if you want the perfect home you need to throw the rulebook out the window…"
I enjoyed the premise, characters, and snappy dialog... and will certainly turn to O'Leary again when I need a break from the heavy stuff!





Zorrie by Laird Hunt

This is a quiet, beautifully-written portrait of one woman's life in rural Indiana in the 20th century. It begins with her sad childhood, continues as she sets off to find work in the city painting clock faces with radium, then later returning home as a young woman to discover community, friendship, and love. There is joy, heartbreak, and, eventually, growing older - all in just 176 pages. Quite an accomplishment! I rated it 4 stars immediately upon finishing, but increased it as I continue to marvel at Hunt's skill.



by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer, narrated by a full cast

This is a delightful epistolary novel, told mostly through emails, about two very different twelve-year-old girls being raised by single, gay dads. When the dads fall in love, the girls are sent, against their will, to the same sleepaway camp with hopes they will find common ground and become friends - and possibly, one day, even sisters. The story is reminiscent of The Parent Trap and I just loved it!

This book was brought to my attention through the Modern Mrs. Darcy Summer Reading Guide, but I probably wouldn't have picked it up without Meg Wolitzer's name on the cover. I initially thought it was YA, but decided it's actually middle grade... something I haven't read since my kids were that age. The full cast audio was a lot of fun. It loses half a point over my annoyance at hearing "re: re: re: re:...." repeated so many times as the email threads grew increasingly longer. If you enjoyed The Parent Trap, give this one a try!






Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead

I've been wanting to read Maggie Shipstead for years, and decided to start at the beginning with her 2012 debut novel. It takes place over the course of one weekend at the Van Meter's summer home on a fictional island meant to be Martha's Vineyard - the wedding weekend of their oldest daughter, Daphne. It offers a healthy dose of wealthy WASPs behaving badly, but I was mostly impressed with the writing and characterizations. These probably aren't people I'd want for friends, but I sure enjoyed reading about them. I'd like to read Shipstead's other novels, Astonish Me  and Great Circle.





August Reading Possibilities//

Other plans for August//

We have more travel ahead in August... another trip to see my parents, a long weekend in VT with family midmonth for my father-in-law's memorial, and hopefully more visits from family members. We're replacing a few windows here and I'm hoping that happens in August, too. But I won't be surprised if the contractor doesn't get to us until September...


So that's it for my July. How was yours? What was your favorite book of the month?

Birthday treats!



 

45 comments:

  1. All your reads for the month were very good or excellent reads, and that, for me, is the determining factor for calling a month a good reading month. Grapes of Wrath is on my list of all-time best books, and I liked Flatshare a lot. I like the sound of To Night Owl From Dogfish. Thank you for sharing all your reads.

    I've got Remarkably Bright Creatures on my list to read soon. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

    Enjoy August, JoAnn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - Same here -quality over quantity, so this was a very good reading month! So many readers have loved Remarkable Bright Creatures, and I'm hoping it'll be a good follow-up to the darker Shuggie Bain.

      Delete
  2. What a nice month! Happy belated birthday, lots of good books read (several which are new to me) and still lots going on in August. I LOVED Remarkably Bright Creatures (hope you do as well) and I have Shuggie Bain but, it's a darker story so I need to be in right mood. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I'm pretty sure it was your review that convinced me to add Remarkably Bright Creatures to my library list. It might be a good follow-up to Shuggie Bain... if I stick to my August plan! ;-)

      Delete
  3. The Flatshare sounds like a perfect escapist read for this summer! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - The Flatshare was definitely the right book at the right time!

      Delete
  4. BTW, if you haven't read it, I recommend Out of the Dust for your "Dust Bowl Deep Dive."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb... I've never read that book! Will give it a try before I move on.

      Delete
  5. JoAnn, it's nice to catch up with you and what's been happening in your life and world. Glad you got to be surprised at birthday time! How fun! I wanted to second your recommendation of To Night Owl From Dogfish. I read that one a few years back and am pretty sure that I got the recommend from 'What Should I Read Next' - Modern Mrs. Darcy's podcast. I thought it was great, but I'm also pretty sure I read it in print. I might think about a reread on audio. In any case, it's a great little book. Hope you guys have a nice August and enjoy your next family events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - I'm still shocked they surprised me! I didn't have sheets on the guest room bed, hadn't cleaned the bathroom, or stocked up on the food they like, etc... but it was all fine. Glad to know you enjoyed To Night Owl From Dogfish, too! I think you'd enjoy the audio version, too, except for all the re, re, re, re, lol! I've gotten several good recommendations from MMD and the What Should I Read Next podcast this year. She recommend The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, too, which I really enjoyed. Hope you have a good August!

      Delete
  6. I loved The Pedant in the Kitchen! I think of it every time a recipe calls for an onion. :) PS- Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - I've wanted to read The Pedant in the Kitchen ever since you mentioned it a few (?) years ago, but none of the libraries had a copy. I just discovered the audio available on hoopla and borrowed it. Haven't gotten to the onion story yet...

      Delete
    2. I'm jealous! My library discontinued audiobooks on Hoopla, though we still have them on Overdrive.

      Delete
    3. Audrey - I think hoopla has gotten ferociously expensive. My old library in NY recently dropped it, too. Very thankful our FL library has kept it... and allows plenty of borrows per month!

      Delete
  7. I'll never forget my experience reading Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath--one of the truly great novels of the 20th century, to my mind. And, Ken and I are amazed at the impact the film starring Henry Fonda (and other notables) has on us, so every few years we re-watch it. Solemn. Gravitas. Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith - I've never seen the Henry Fonda film! Maybe my Dust Bowl deep dive isn't over after all... East of Eden is my favorite Steinbeck novel, but The Grapes of Wrath is truly his masterpiece!

      Delete
  8. JoAnn, I forgot to add that I hadn't realized that your father-in-law has passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss and, of course, your husband's, and I will remember all the memorable meals you made for him in Florida. True caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith. My FIL passed away in January, but wanted his memorial to be back in NY (Washington County) with immediate family. His three children, with spouses and grandchildren will all be present. It's been very strange in FL with him gone... he'd become an even bigger part of our lives since we started spending so much time there.

      Delete
    2. Gosh--Washington County, our neighboring county (we're just to the west in Warren County). I hope you'll all have a meaningful reunion with his loved ones.

      Delete
  9. It looks as though you’ve had a wonderful July! I’m so glad you got surprised for your birthday! I read The Four Winds last years and I’m still thinking about it - always a sign of a great book! Have a wonderful August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thathappyreader - My sister considers The Four Winds to be one of her favorite books. She read it shortly after it was released and sill thinks about it, too. It's definitely a quicker read than Steinbeck, lol.

      Delete
  10. What a fun birthday surprise! I have been meaning to reread The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. I like the sound of Zorrie, too. I'll look for it. Hope you have a great August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen - I reread Of Mice and Men several years ago and appreciated it so much more than I did in high school... makes me want to reread all the classics assigned back then. Zorrie was a beautiful novel.

      Delete
  11. I've come to believe that it can be a very good thing when your reading "goes off the rails." Just letting one book naturally lead to the next, as opposed to coming into a new month with a rigid reading plan, often leads to unexpected books that are just about perfect reads for you just when you need them most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I definitely agree! It's been very helpful for me to have a rough monthly plan over the last year or two, but I don't get too upset if plans change. Never expected to pick up a middle grade book, but it was just delightful!

      Delete
  12. I read Night Owl a few years ago and was so impressed by how their relationship played out by emails - great technique for this particular story. I also have Shipstead's Great Circle on my list - a coworker raved about it. Two of your possibilities for next month are on my TBR....we seem to have similar tastes. :) Enjoy August and hope you find time for plenty of reading. Thanks for the visit!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf JOurneys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrie - Night Owl was a real surprise! Definitely outside of what I normally choose, but so, so good. We'll see which one of us gets to Great Circle first... we do seem to have similar reading taste! :)

      Delete
  13. Flatshare is on my wishlist. It looks good. I'm so glad you had lovely family time. I hope you have a great week and a great August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - I think you would enjoy The Flatshare... such a good story. Happy August!

      Delete
  14. Aww, glad you had a wonderful birthday! Happy travels (and reading!) in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. This was certainly a memorable birthday. Happy August to you, too!

      Delete
  15. Yay for a fun birthday surprise! Looks like a good reading month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had a great reading month despite how busy you are. I had to laugh about your Dust Bowl Deep Dive ... you're our expert now after those 2 long books. I've read Neverhome by Laird Hunt ... pretty good. Would like to read Shipstead's Great Circle. Right now I'm liking Lessons in Chemistry - almost done. Have fun in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - Definitely a lot of the Dust Bowl last month.... I even watched Ken Burns 4-hour documentary. A couple of years ago I read The Worst Hard Time, nonfiction by Timothy Egan. Might be time for a break, lol! Just looked up Neverhome, but the premise doesn't appeal to me. Hunt's writing was really good though. Glad you're enjoying Lessons in Chemistry. I still think about Elizabeth Zott from time to time.

      Delete
  17. It sounds like you had a wonderful July and a surprise visit from one's "child" is the best! And, August sounds great too; I love that we're all getting out to see family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - Spending time with family and friends again is definitely the best! Hope everything is progressing with your move.

      Delete
  18. How great to be surprised on your birthday! My daughter has pulled off a couple of surprise visits to see us. Always fun!

    I'm listening to The Four Winds and think it's wonderful! Like you, I'm inspired to reread The Grapes of Wrath and will probably do so later in the year. I've never heard of Zorrie, but it sounds intriguing and may be something I'd enjoy. You enjoyed Seating Arrangements quite a bit more than I did. I read it in 2012 and gave it a low 2/5.

    I'm anxious to read/listen to Remarkably Bright Creatures. My mom's good friend called me, knowing how much I enjoy audiobooks, and told me I had to listen to it. She loved it so much that she started listening to it a second time as soon as she finished!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I still can't believe they pulled off the bday visit... I'm pretty hard to surprise!

      Can't wait to see hear what you think of The Four Winds and whether you decide to move right on to GoW. I posted my Dust Bowl Deep Dive summary today. Quite an experience! I learned about Zorrie from Catherine at Gilmore Guide to Books, she gave it 5 stars. It's easy to see why some readers would not care for Seating Arrangements - the characters are all unlikable and it would be easy to tire quickly of their antics. I liked Shipstead's writing and was in the mood for a 'rich people behaving badly' story.

      Thanks for mentioning the audio of Remarkable Bright Creatures... it's been recommended to me, too. Lately it seems like I try to get almost everything in both print and audio if I can. Love the sound of this one! Hope you're enjoying your trip... I'm enjoying your blog posts catching us up with your last one! :)

      Delete
  19. That's so great that your daughter was able to surprise you and I want ALL the birthday treats! I have Flatshare on my TBR already and added To Night Owl. Both sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer - I'm still finishing up some of the birthday treats - yum! The Flatshare would be a perfect follow-up to a heavier book... like anything JCO, lol. Hope you enjoy Night Owl, too. Don't even know the last time I read anything middle grade, but it was a delight!

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful birthday surprise! And happy belated birthday. The Flatshare is on my TBR. It sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine... I'm pretty hard to surprise. Hope you enjoy The Flatshare, too.

      Delete
  21. The Grapes of Wrath was such a good read. I look forward to your post about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia - It was wonderful to reread The Grapes of Wrath after all these years! I didn't really do a full review, but posted about my Dust Bowl Deep Dive:
      https://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2022/08/dust-bowl-deep-dive-fiction-nonfiction.html

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails