Sunday, March 27, 2022

March Got Away From Me...


Hello, friends. March has been a little crazy around here. Our daughter and her boyfriend were here for a couple of weeks (working remotely) at the beginning of the month. We enjoyed a visit from an old friend mid-month and my cousin was here for a long weekend last week. And now the month is just about over...

I've finished several books, but know I won't get around to reviewing them any time soon. Instead, I'll give you my quick takes:


by Sarah. M. Broom, narrated by Bahni Turpin

Broom is a good writer with an interesting family history, but I was hoping for more from the 2019 National Book Award Winner. I was looking for bigger picture insights into how social and economic policies/programs impacted families in post-Katrina New Orleans East. 
Bahni Turpin's narration, as always, was excellent. 
⭐⭐⭐



Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

I discovered Mary Lawson earlier this year through her new novel, A Town Called Solace. Now I'm diving into her backlist. Crow Lake, written two decades ago, is a novel about four orphaned siblings, their relationships with one another, and how youthful choices shape their adult lives. Beautifully written, with exceptional character development and remarkable insight into sibling relationships, this quiet novel left me feeling a little blue. I will likely raise my rating to 4.5 stars with time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐



by Erik Larson, narrated by Stephen Hoye

Given what's happening in the world today, this book about William E. Dodd, the U.S. Ambassador to Hitler's Germany in the 1930s, seemed very timely. In addition to the Ambassador, Larson also includes the experiences of  his wife, adult son, and adult daughter as Hitler's power and influence continued to grow. Fascinating reading and listening.
⭐⭐⭐⭐



by Eleanor Morse, narrated by Tavia Gilbert

This character-driven family novel set in 1960s coastal Maine didn't get a lot of buzz when it was published last year, so I'm glad I discovered it on the library's new release shelf. The audio was also available to download, so I experienced it as a read/listen combination. Magreete Bright is showing increasing signs of dementia and her situation becomes a crisis when she accidentally starts a fire in her kitchen. At that point, Magreete's daughter, Liddie, her husband, and their three children leave Michigan and move into Magreete's Maine home. While subject matter may be depressing, Morse handles it all so tenderly. The audio added to my overall experience.
⭐⭐⭐⭐





by Sara Manning Peskin, narrated by Ann Richardson

Surprisingly engaging for a such scientific topic, I primarily listened to this book. Cognitive neurology, molecular science, actual patient profiles, and interesting accounts of scientists involved in making the discoveries held my interest throughout the entire book. I couldn't get enough.
⭐⭐⭐⭐


Current Reading//

by R.C. Sherriff, narrated by Jilly Bond

After a slow start, I'm about a third of the way into this book and finding it to be a delight.



Favorite puzzle of the month//


I love New York Puzzle Company puzzles! This is one of their new designs.


Coming up//

Tomorrow we have tickets for Beyond Van Gogh in Sarasota. I've been looking forward to it all month.

Next weekend we're off to Connecticut. We'll spend most of April setting up our condo so we're ready to live there this summer. We're also planning to visit my family in NY for Easter.

With all of that, my plan is to take a blogging break for the month of April. I'll (hopefully) keep up with your blogs, but doubt I'll post again until early May.


How did March treat you? What was your favorite book of the month?
Happy Spring!







40 comments:

  1. Other than the Erik Larson book, I haven't heard about the others on your list, but they sound very enjoyable and informative.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae - Despite not having time to blog, March reading was pretty good!

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like a lot of activities in the months ahead. I hope you enjoy your books and your outings with friends.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - It's going to be a busy April... I'm bracing myself!

      Delete
  3. I remember being quite moved by Crow Lake but that is about all I remember of reading it. My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - Crow Lake was such a beautiful book, but so sad...

      Delete
  4. So glad to see this post! I was all set to send out a search party. ;)

    Glad you enjoyed Crow Lake. I don't remember too much about it other than a small girl named Bo? Time for a reread. Also looking forward to reading In the Garden of Beasts later this fall. Glad you liked it! I haven't heard of Magreete's Harbor, but it sounds like one I might enjoy. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have a print copy of Sherriff's novel on my shelf and plan to read it this summer. Thanks for letting me know it starts off slowly.

    You have a busy month ahead. Have a great time in CT. I'm sure it will be fun getting your new place all set up.

    We're off to Nashville in a week, so I'll be pretty quiet around here, too. Lots of summer visitors lined up, but I'm hoping to steal away some time alone here and there.

    Best book lately? Setting Free the Kites by Alex George. I loved it! Currently engrossed in Monogamy by Sue Miller. Listened to The Paper Palace, which was good, but not as great as I had hoped.

    Have a great month off and we'll catch up again in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - LOL, every weekend I meant to write a quick update and never got around to it. Don't think I posted much on instagram either.

      Crow Lake was such a beautiful book! The younger sister's name was Bo... you have a good memory! Margreete's Harbor was also a poignant read. I loved how the family, and even the firefighter when the kitchen burned, interacted with Margreete... so caring. The Maine setting is always a plus for me and it was interesting to have Vietnam in the background, too.

      I'll look up Setting Free the Kites... don't think I've heard of that one. Monogamy is on my (ridiculously long) wish list.

      Safe travels to you and Rod. I know you'll enjoy your time in Nashville! We'll all catch up in May.

      Delete
  5. Crow Lake is one of those books I found long ago through Oprah's Book Club. It was a fantastic read and it led me to reading many more books selected by Oprah.

    I am a huge fan of Erik Larson. I think I've read everything he has written, including In the Garden of the Beasts.

    A Molecule Away From Madness: Tales of the Hijacked Brain sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Hopefully it's not over my head!

    Enjoy your little break. Hopefully you can pop in now and then during April. I will also be away, but I plan to blog when I get time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I enjoyed so many of Oprah's books back in the day, but somehow missed Crow Lake. Just purchased another of Lawson's books for my kindle (Road Ends) so I will continue working my way through her backlist.

      A Molecule Away From Madness was surprisingly approachable, but I think it would also work for a reader without much of a scientific background. Very readable!

      Delete
  6. Have fun on your trips next month!! The Fortnight in September has an awesome cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. I just love the cover for A Fortnight in September, too... had to own a paper copy of that!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy the Beyond Van Gogh exhibit; I look forward to hearing about it. You've read some good books this month and you got to spend time with your daughter; that's all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - The Van Gogh exhibit was amazing! I'm going to post photos on instagram later tonight.

      Delete
  8. Have fun at Beyond Van Gogh! I was supposed to go to that when it was in Denver, but life got in the way. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aj - The exhibit was awesome! I hope you'll have another opportunity to see it... well worth it.

      Delete
  9. I would love to see the Van Gogh exhibit & I bet you can't take photos there but if you can (please!). One special time in my life I saw the Nightwatch in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. It was amazing. That entire museum is amazing.

    Enjoy your month off blogging and get some reading and walking in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - We could take photos - I was shocked! Will try to get some up on instagram tonight. It was spectacular.

      Delete
    2. JoAnn, I was just visiting The Cue Card via Sunday Salon and she mentioned Mothering Sunday, how she had that suggestion from you. Me too! You've suggested some great books. Hope you are having a wonderful time.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Tina. Mothering Sunday was such a beautifully written book! It was one of my favorites whatever year it was that I read it. I want to see the movie, but that would be a hard one to translate to film.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a whirlwind of a month and still managed some good reads as well. You reminded me that I have Margreete's Harbor on my Kindle and, it seems to be the kind of story I usually enjoy as well. I loved the old fashioned family feel of A Fortnight in September as well and, loved Crow Lake too. In the Garden of Beasts does seem quite timely as well. Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - Whirlwind is the perfect way to describe our March, but it was good to see so many people. I think you'd enjoy Margreete's Harbor. If you can get the audio, I'd recommend making it a read/listen combo. Crow Lake keeps getting better the more I think about it... I'll be reading more Lawson soon.

      Delete
  11. I like the sound of A Molecule Away and A Fortnight in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee - A Molecule Away From Madness was so engaging... unusual, I think, for a book about science. The Fortnight in September is very enjoyable so far.

      Delete
  12. Erik Larson's books are always a win for me. I always learn something.

    You find the best puzzles! Off to search Amazon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - I feel the same way about Erik Larson! Think I've read 4 or 5 of his books now.

      Quality is excellent with New York Puzzle Company and I love the unusual shapes they sometimes use... a fun challenge.

      Delete
  13. Looks like you are going to be busy! Have a great time and a great April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. April is going to be fun, but so much needs to get done...

      Delete
  14. Yeah March got away from me too. I can relate. One trip home & I just became too busy. You got to a lot of good books though. I had your same reaction to The Yellow House. I needed more there. But I liked Crow Lake & In the Garden of the Beasts. Enjoy your trip to Connecticut. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - Sounds like March was pretty crazy for you, too. The Yellow House was a disappointment overall... would have been fine as a straight memoir, but lacking as a NBA winner. I have another Mary Lawson book on my kindle now, Road Ends, and will be reading that within the next couple of months.

      Delete
  15. March was just crazy so I completely understand it getting away from you a bit! So glad you got some good reading done. I really want to read that Erik Larson. It looks fascinating. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - With all that was happening here, I should just be happy that I was able to read more than just two books. Not sure I'll get much reading done in April though. I really enjoy Erik Larson's book; my favorite so far is probably The Splendid and the Vile.

      Delete
  16. Joanne, I completely understand about March and lots of things. Story of my life as well. I keep meaning to write a post and then I get busy with something else. I remember reading Crow Lake a number of years ago and I as I recall, I liked it. Don't remember much else. Good luck with setting up your condo up north. A blog break sounds like a good plan. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - I had a feeling you'd get this, lol, and actually got my inspiration for a blog break from your example. If I just take it off the table for a month, April should be much easier. Hope all is well in your corner of the world.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like a full month! I hope you enjoyed your Van Gogh experience as well. Beautiful puzzle. I've got a stack from Christmas I'm still slowly working through with the fam! lol.
    Molecule of Madness looks fantastic. On my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather - We loved the Van Gogh experience - it was excellent! Hope they decided to do it with other artists. I've heard rumblings about Monet. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  18. Glad to hear that Crow Lake was good--I'm also eager to explore the Lawson's backlist.

    Erik Larson just never disappoints. I found Garden of Beasts chilling--fascinating but fraught with tension.

    A Fortnight in September looks promising--I love the cover.

    Happy April, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - I'm hoping to read Lawson's entire backlist this year... Road Ends will be next. Will admit to buying a physical copy of The Fortnight in September just for the cover. Happy April!

      Delete
  19. So many good books and I love the New Yorker Co. puzzle. My favorite too! Have a relaxing break.
    stacybuckeye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy. We are up in CT now trying to get the condo ready for summer. So much to get done...

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails