Sunday, May 16, 2021

A Mid-May Sunday Salon



Hello, friends. It's Sunday again and time for another weekly update. Life continues to move slowly toward normalcy. Last week I went into a store and tried on clothes! It seems so strange to think of that as being a big deal, but it sure felt like one to me. I also walked into the grocery store yesterday for just a few things... rather than with a detailed list for a week's worth of carefully planned meals. Finally, we ate at restaurants (outdoors) twice. Those little things all made me ridiculously happy.

As I'm sure you're well aware, the CDC dropped their mask recommendation for vaccinated people... though there is no way to verify who is actually vaccinated. Our governor even took preemptive action to make it illegal to ask for proof of vaccination. BUT, I was heartened to see nearly everyone still masked in the grocery stores, clothing stores, and restaurants I visited. Either next to nobody has been vaccinated or, more likely, they do not feel comfortable with the new guidelines. These are strange times...


Read last week//


Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie

My second historical fiction this month was a coming-of-age story set in post WWII Japan. It follows Noriko, the illegitimate child of a Japanese aristocrat and an African-American soldier, for decades as she comes to terms with her heritage and tries to find her place in the world. 

I enjoy reading about this time period in Japan and quickly found myself immersed in Nori's story. I flew through this 450-page debut novel in just a few days and will be passing it along to my mother and sister. A solid 4-star read! 




by Deesha Philyaw, narrated by Janina Edwards

The Secret Lives of Church Ladies explores the raw and tender places where black women and girls dare to follow their desires and pursue a momentary reprieve from being good. The nine stories in this collection feature four generations of characters grappling with who they want to be in the world, caught as they are between the church's double standards and their own needs and passions.

I heard about this collection of stories from the Novel Pairings podcast. They strongly recommended listening and that was definitely the right choice. The narration was fabulous and made the stories feel even more real and often raw. I liked this four hour listen, but not quite as much as most other reviewers. I borrowed it from the library via hoopla. 



Sampled but wasn't feeling//


Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner

From the indie rockstar of Japanese Breakfast fame, and author of the viral 2018 New Yorker essay that shares the title of this book, an unflinching, powerful memoir about growing up Korean American, losing her mother, and forging her own identity.

This month's Shelf Subscription... I read the first three chapters/essays of this memoir, including the wonderful title essay. It's not what I feel like reading right now, but I do plan to read it later.


Current listening//

Good Morning, Monster by Catherine Gildiner, narrated by Deborah Burgess

Purchased recently as an audible daily deal, I finally started listening today on my morning walk. Just as I'd hoped, it immediately reminded me of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb... a favorite from 2019.


Ready to start//

Early Morning Riser by Katherine Heiny

I picked up this library hold yesterday just moments before closing. Heiny's last novel, Standard Deviation, was such an enjoyable read and my hopes for her latest are high. I'll get started later tonight or tomorrow.


Viewing//


I watched season one (three episodes) of The Bletchley Circle on amazon prime video last week.  It's about a group of friends who worked at Bletchley Park breaking code during WWII and reunite in the early 1950s to track down a serial killer. I plan to continue with season two.


In the kitchen//

It's been pretty warm lately... the time of year I start thinking about salads for dinner. Last week we had Katie Workman's Chinese Chicken Salad. I used romaine lettuce instead of Napa cabbage, left out the red onion, and opted for the convenience of a rotisserie chicken. The homemade Soy Sesame dressing was really good and we had leftovers for a couple of lunches. Tip: toss only the salad you will use right away with dressing and add the crunchy lo mein noodles prior to serving.


We're taking dinner over to my FIL later this afternoon. For dessert I made Taste of Home's   Jumbleberry Crumble. Loaded with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, it was an early pandemic favorite. We haven't had it since our daughters from NYC were with us last spring.summer. I hope he likes it, too!


How was your week? What have you been reading?


The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.

It's Monday... What Are You Reading? is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date

42 comments:

  1. That's funny. I have less than 100 pages left in EARLY MORNING RISER. I am enjoying it. I will be interested in your thoughts. I am going to look for her other books once I clear my library hold books. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon - I only read 20 or so pages last night, but think Early Morning Riser will be a fun read. I really enjoyed Standard Deviation... you might, too.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great that we are finally begin to feel like there is a pathway to more normal times? I loved Good Morning Monster but felt the stories were much heavier than the Gottlieb book. I also enjoyed Fifty Words for Rain. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I can already see that Good Morning Monster will be heavier than Gottleib's book...really like it so far!

      Delete
  3. These weeks are flying by, aren't they! I'll bet it felt strange going clothes shopping. I keep wanting to go up to Eddie Bauer and look for some new shorts and tops, but haven't been able to until now. Maybe next weekend! We've eaten out (inside!) twice and have reservations for next week, too. At least our restaurants are still at 25% capacity, so that's less worrisome.

    Fifty Words for Rain sounds like a good read and I love the cover art for Early Morning Riser! I've just started A Door in the Earth by Amy Waldman. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, but it's a book group selection, so I began it last night and got sucked right in. I'm looking forward to reading more tonight.

    We're still watching Atlantic Crossing and Mare of Easttown (so good!!), so The Bletchley Circle will have to wait, but it's on my list. I haven't told him yet, but I bought my husband the boxed set of Deadwood for a belated birthday present. I'm going to give it to him on our big road trip so we have something to watch in the evenings. We watched it many years ago (and loved it), so it will be fun to watch it again. We don't use a satellite dish or stream shows when were in the RV, so DVDs are it. The last big trips we watched Game of Thrones.

    Have a lovely week, JoAnn. Hope it isn't too hot yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - I think I'd eat indoors if capacity was limited... everything is open 100% here and the vaccination rates (at least in our county) are still low. I'm sure we'll eat inside once we get to NY and CT.

      Just looking at the cover of Early Morning Riser makes me smile... so cheerful. It sure looks like I'm back in a groove with historical fiction. Read quite a bit of it years ago, then burned out. I enjoy books about post WWII Japan and thought Fifty Words for Rain was wonderful. Think you'd like it, too.

      I remember wanting to read A Door in the Earth when it first came out, but never got to it. Glad you're enjoying it and I'll look for your thoughts when you finish.

      Mare of Easttown looks good, but we don't have HBO. I have a love/hate relationships with streaming services and we tend to go in streaks with watching/not watching TV. We've been able to get a lot of movies and series from the library though.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Jinjer - We'll see which one of us gets to it first!

      Delete
  5. It's interesting about the masks - Massachusetts (and Boston) went to no masks outdoors if vaccinated right away but it felt awkward to take it off for the first few days! It does feel so much better to walk without it when possible, though! We are not rushing to remove the indoor requirement though, which I think is a good idea.

    I just brought home Early Riser too, and I had postponed the audiobook for a week so might have that soon too. I read Standard Deviation and remember liking it though I don't remember much about it. (Not an uncommon occurrence :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - It's so nice to be without masks outdoors, but I'm going to be cautious indoors for a little longer.

      I really liked Standard Deviation, too. We'll have to compare notes on Early Morning Riser.

      Delete
  6. So many tempting books! I also love the photo at the top of your post.

    As for enjoying going places, I am loving it. But also cautious. I carry my proof of vaccination with me just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - It feels so good to get out and go places again. Overall I'm happy that people are still be cautious indoors here... gradually I'll feel more comfortable. We'll bring our proof of vaccination with us when we go to NY/CT... our governor has made it illegal for anyone to ask for it here.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to see someone else watching Bletchley Circle. I liked both seasons, but season 1 was better for me. I am also still wearing my mask indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I'm not sure how I missed Bletchley Circle when it first came out. It's right up my alley! Hope to start season 2 tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. The change on masks by the CDC seems very confusing .... and a bit out of left field. Glad you are enjoying your reads. Per your suggestion we have watched the first season of Bletchley Circle too .... the perpetrator was pretty creepy and I'm glad the girls solved the case. I'll try getting the 2nd season past my husband as I liked it. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I was really surprised by the CDC announcement last week and will continue to be cautious indoors here. Oh, yes... that Bletchley Circle case was SO creepy! I may have to watch season 2 alone here...

      Delete
  9. I read about the no masks rule and thought it rather strange because you do not know who is vaccinated or not. Here we are in lockdown till the end of May and then who knows. Managing well at home, but I know getting out is going to be an issue for me anyway. I've got used to being in now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica - That's exactly the problem... businesses here (in FL) cannot as for proof of vaccination. Glad you are managing at home. I'm sure it will feel strange when it's time to venture out again!

      Delete
  10. Every "normal" thing we get to do again for the first time feels like a chance to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone had cases of people who had problems, but the people in Good Morning, Monster had suffered such trauma I didn't see how they could go on. I liked both books.

    I may read Early Morning Riser. It seems as if word has already gotten out on that on; there's a long waiting list.

    I've always wanted to make a cobbler or a crumble. I am going to add it to my Baking Bucket List.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I've listened to enough of Good Morning Monster to see that it will be much heavier than Gottlieb's book. Looks like Early Morning Riser will be a lighter read, so probably a good balance for me.

      Delete
  12. When you’ve finished The Bletchley Circle, be sure to watch the San Francisco spin off.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae - I noticed that there was a San Francisco series, too. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  13. So happy to hear things are starting to get back to normal for you! It's the little things like trying on clothes and going to restaurants that make such a huge difference! Enjoy it! :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penelope - Strange how the pandemic has made us appreciate all the little things. I suppose that's one plus from the past year!

      Delete
  14. Fitting rooms haven't reopened here yet. Nor has our temperature really hit what I would consider "warm." Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - That's probably why so many Minnesotans have taken their time leaving here this year ;-)

      Delete
  15. Yes, we are creeping towards normalcy. All those little steps do lighten the heart, and it is nice to see masks everywhere still.

    Fifty Words for Rain appeals to me - I need to read outside my normal confines more.

    I loved Bletchley Circle when I watched it a few years ago - good stories, good characters. I just got an Audible of The Rose Code, and I'm thinking of rereading Enigma by Robert Harris to keep the code-breaking themed reading going!

    Have a good week and read on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - I'm hoping to start season 2 of The Bletchley Circle tomorrow. Not sure I'll be able to get my husband to continue though. Hope you enjoy The Rose Code as much as I did. Just looked up Enigma and it sounds interesting. I downloaded a sample of My Secret Life in Hut Six: One Woman's Experiences at Bletchley Park...will give it a try soon.

      Fifty Words for Rain was such a good story and unlike anything I've been reading lately. You might enjoy it, too.

      I'm not quite ready to shed my mask indoors around people who may not be vaccinated. Maybe I'll get more comfortable as the percentage of people vaccinated continues to grow. We'll see.

      Delete
    2. It's interesting that you said you may not get your husband to watch season 2 of Bletchley Circle. For some reason, my husband really didn't like this series, and really, really disliked the main character. He's usually game for this type of thing, but she really rubbed him the wrong way :)

      Delete
    3. JaneGS - Isn't that strange... must be a guy thing.

      Delete
  16. How wonderful to be able to get some normalcy back, right? I'm glad your experience was great and people were being mindful. I went to the bookstore and was very happy to see everyone masked up and maintaining distance, etc. And, I just had to print out the jumbleberry recipe. That looks delicious! Can't wait to hear your review of the Monster book. I've had that one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - I continue to be surprised by the number of people still wearing masks in stores... which is nice as we get used to "normal" life again. The berry crumble was a big hit with my FIL.. and Good Morning, Monster is really good!

      Delete
  17. Where I am, people are ditching their masks even thought the State of Ca is not formally open until June 15th. It's causing issues for a lot of employees who are now being asked to police it. Including my son who has had some run ins of late. I am wearing it in public but no longer wearing it on my walks unless people are with me or around me.

    Certain things I am not ready for. Too much time indoors does not feel safe to me but it's not even so much about COVID anymore. I cannot deal with crowds. I need a re-entry plan. And my definition of crowds has changed too. A dozen people around me is a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - It seems like things are pretty confusing in CA now... and store employees are in an impossible situation. I'm with you about the crowds. This is all going to take some adjustment. Sigh.

      Delete
  18. Oo that Chinese chicken salad sounds good!

    And these are crazy times indeed. It feels super confusing! We are still wearing our masks but I feel more comfortable venturing out as a vaccinated person. Wyatt is still hanging close to home but we are allowing him to visit his vaccinated family members - which means, babysitters for the first time in over a year!!! LOL. We have not done that yet, but I am hoping for Billy and I to go out for a bit minus Wyatt next week. It will be weird and an adjustment I am sure for Wyatt and I both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - That Chinese chicken salad was so good that I'm planning to make it again this weekend. Hooray for family visits and I sure hope you guys get an adult night out soon!

      Delete
  19. It is indeed interestiing to get back to some normalcy. We keep our masks available but have been using them less. I feel that since everyone has had an opportunity to get vaccinated that I will abide for only a while longer t waering the mask.

    The Japanese historical fiction sounds like something I would enjoy. I am a fan of the historical fiction. Oh yes to that Chinese chcken salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - We're keeping our masks handy, too, and are slowly starting to use them less. Hope more people get vaccinated here! Reading two historical fiction books in a month has been surprisingly good. I used to read so much, then got away from it for a while... maybe my reading habits are changing again?!

      Delete
  20. I loved Bletchley Circle although felt the characters sometimes swallowed their words. I remember rewinding (so to speak) several times to make sure I caught everything. I am definitely going to Bletchley Park on my next trip to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CLM - It took me a few minutes to adjust to dialog, too. We'll see if it's the same with season two. Now that Bletchley Park has been opened to the public, it's also on my list for the next trip. Wonder when that will be ...

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails