Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Current Reading: My Sister, the Serial Killer


WORDS
Ayoola summons me with these words - Korede, I killed him.
I had hoped I would never hear those words again.

My Sister, the Serial Killer
by Oyinkan Braithwaite

That is the entire first chapter of this novel. The book is unusual, to say the least, and I was surprised to find myself drawn into the story so quickly. The audio version is narrated by Adepero Oduye... I'm loving her Nigerian accent! Hope to finish later today or tomorrow.


Here is the goodreads summary:
When Korede's dinner is interrupted one night by a distress call from her sister, Ayoola, she knows what's expected of her: bleach, rubber gloves, nerves of steel and a strong stomach. This'll be the third boyfriend Ayoola's dispatched in, quote, self-defence and the third mess that her lethal little sibling has left Korede to clear away. She should probably go to the police for the good of the menfolk of Nigeria, but she loves her sister and, as they say, family always comes first. Until, that is, Ayoola starts dating the doctor where Korede works as a nurse. Korede's long been in love with him, and isn't prepared to see him wind up with a knife in his back: but to save one would mean sacrificing the other... 
What do you think? Are you tempted to continue?


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intro is hosted by Vicki at I'd Rather Be At The Beach.



22 comments:

  1. For some reason I have not wanted to read this book. It sounds intriguing but...I continue to pass it by...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty - It is a strange little book, but on the plus side it's pretty short.

      Delete
  2. I have been reading some books with serial killers lately, including the one I'm on now (My Lovely Wife). Your pick today sounds tempting...I've been eyeing it.

    So glad that Google Chrome has solved the commenting problem for you. It works for me, and I'm happily blog visiting.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - There is another book I've been noticing lately with "serial killer" in the title... not sure if I approve of this trend, lol!

      So happy that Google Chrome was the answer to my commenting woes. Thank you again for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. I was going to pick this one for my July book club meeting but the book is hard to get from the library right now so I went with a different book. These ladies will not buy a book, ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - That's exactly how it is with my book club in NY. We decided to skip the Crawdad book until next year because the library hold lists are so long...

      Delete
  4. I have the audio and home to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - It's only a little over 4 hours long... and it's always a treat to find a short book. Will be curious to hear what you think about the story.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a good one. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly? I can't get past the cover art. It just doesn't appeal to me at all! If you give it a 5-star rating, I may change my mind. Otherwise, I think it's one I'll have to skip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - This didn't appeal to me at all until I started seeing the rave reviews. I finished last night... it was good, not great. The audio production was enjoyable and only 4 hours. Go for it if you're curious, but not a huge loss if you skip it.

      Delete
  7. There is something about novel formats, especially those that are short, that always appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I only decided to take a chance on this because it was so short... an unusual diversion, to say the least!

      Delete
  8. I passed on the title and creepy cover alone LOL. I actually should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - This was one strange book... glad I read it, but not a favorite.

      Delete
  9. I have read it and enjoyed it immensely. Link to my review: https://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2019/01/my-sister-serial-killer.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy - Thanks for the link... on my way over now.

      Delete
  10. It sounds creepy in a good way. Hey, thanks much for the suggestion to use Chrome as I can now comment again. My husband said maybe it was an issue with Apple as you had it with the Mac and I had it on both the iPhone and my iPad. never thought about Safari being the culprit, Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - I'm SO glad that worked for you, too! It probably is an issue with Apple... my phone and iPad weren't working either.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, I listened to the audio of this too and loved it. Sharp, witty, and engaging. What more do you want?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails