Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tuesday Intro: Be Frank With Me

PROLOGUE 
February 2010 
Because the station wagon blew up in the fire, Frank and I took the bus to the hospital. When I told him we'd get there in less than half the time in a taxi, Frank said, "I only ride in taxis with my mother. You are not my mother, Alice." 
This was a fact. Once the kid latched on to a fact there was no point in trying to talk him around to practicalities. "Fine," I said. "We'll take the bus."
Be Frank With Me
by Julia Claiborne Johnson

After finishing a read/listen combination of Missoula  over the weekend, I was emotionally drained and needed my next audiobook to be something totally different - fiction, definitely, maybe a little lighter, and a really great narration was a must. Be Frank With Me, recently recommended over at Beth Fish Reads, seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

Here's the goodreads summary:
Reclusive literary legend M. M. “Mimi” Banning has been holed up in her Bel Air mansion for years, but now she’s writing her first book in decades and to ensure timely completion her publisher sends an assistant to monitor her progress. Mimi reluctantly complies—with a few stipulations: No Ivy Leaguers or English majors. Must drive, cook, tidy. Computer whiz. Good with kids. Quiet, discreet, sane. 
When Alice Whitley arrives at the Banning mansion, she’s put to work right away—as a full-time companion to Frank, the writer’s eccentric nine-year-old, a boy with the wit of Noël Coward, the wardrobe of a 1930s movie star, and very little in common with his fellow fourth graders. 
As she gets to know Frank, Alice becomes consumed with finding out who his father is, how his gorgeous “piano teacher and itinerant male role model” Xander fits into the Banning family equation—and whether Mimi will ever finish that book. 
Full of heart and countless only-in-Hollywood moments, Be Frank With Me is a captivating and heartwarming story of an unusual mother and son, and the intrepid young woman who finds herself irresistibly pulled into their unforgettable world.
I began listening and was instantly hooked on the narration. Even though I've barely listened to more than a single chapter, the story has grabbed my attention, too. I think I'm going to love this audiobook. You can listen to an audio sample here.

What do you think? Would you keep reading...or listening?


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

50 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book but I read it, although I heard the audio is quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - Tavia Gilbert is simply amazing in the audio. It's hard to believe there is just one reader.

      Delete
  2. Love the sound of this one; I do have the eGalley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I'm sure this would be goodie print, too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Molly - Six or seven chapters in and I'm loving it.

      Delete
  4. I've been hearing some good things about this book. Somehow, when I saw it, it didn't really grab me, but I'll wait and see what you think, JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - If the first several chapters are any indication, I'm going to love it!

      Delete
  5. So have I! The intro...and your recommendation so far ... clinches it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - I was going to sample the first chapter, but ended up listening to at least six. This was at bedtime, so way too late!

      Delete
  6. Oh I really want to read this one! It sounds wonderful and I love that you're already hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - This is an amazing audio production and I'm loving it!

      Delete
  7. I have heard of this book but didn't know much about it until now. It does sound good. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - Have a feeling I'm going to be giving this a very high recommendation.

      Delete
  8. I have this one on my to-read list. I'm looking forward to reding it as soon as the Triple Dog Dare Challenge is over. I like the first paragraph. It's a nice tease. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - Audiobooks don't count for me during the Triple Dog Dare.... I don't have more than 1 or 2 on my shelf.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Patty - I can certainly see why! My library doesn't have a print copy and I had to restrain myself not to purchase one today.

      Delete
  10. Okay...now I am hooked! I've heard good things about it, including from Patty (above). I don't know what I thought this book would be about...but a writer and her eccentric son, with the interesting addition of Alice, who sounds intriguing...I'm in! Off to download it. Thanks, JoAnn...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I really love this one so far and have a feeling you will, too.

      Delete
  11. I loved the print version. My only complaint is that it ended so abruptly. Did it feel like that on audio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti - I've only listened to 6 or 7 chapters so far... will let you know.

      Delete
  12. I've been curious about this one, and it sounds like it's off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've the ebook for this one but really want to listen to the audio, so I've put off reading it until I can borrow the audio from the library. Keep going for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - Get on the list! Have a feeling it will get longer when the word gets out about how good it is.

      Delete
  14. This looks like a winner. I haven't heard about this book, but what you've shared makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica - Have a feeling it will be a big winner for me!

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a delightful story full of unusual characters. I'm adding it to my TBR list.
    My Tuesday post features a contemporary romance: GRIFF MONTGOMERY, QUARTERBACK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra - Hope it draws you in right away, too.

      Delete
  16. Well, I do like the sound of this and it seems like it was just what you needed too. Great choice, thanks for sharing this 'new to me' author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo - This is the perfect follow-up to Missoula. I needed something totally different!

      Delete
  17. I was getting a kind of Noel Coward vibe from that kid. Sounds like a good one. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paulita - I think that's a fair assessment.

      Delete
  18. I just received this book yesterday. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd keep reading! It sounds like fun. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - Have a feeling this os going to be a winner!

      Delete
  20. OK, I'm not sure if I like Frank's flat voice, but maybe it'll grow on me. I've got the audio on hold at my library, but maybe I'll take a look at the book tomorrow at work. Sounds like a good book, either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les - The flat affect seems to fit so well with his personality/condition... he must be on the spectrum. After 6 chapters, I'm loving this book. Hope it continues.

      Delete
  21. Oh, yes, I love the sound of Frank, a nine year old with style! It promises to be delightful.
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Share my Garden - Frank is a wonderful character and the audio narration adds so much!

      Delete
  22. I love the sound of this one. And that cover is certainly fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am looking forward to this book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The narration is really good. I agree that it holds ones attention.

    The book beginning is interesting. Though the characters sound a bit annoying, flawed characters often make for good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Joseph - The characters are both annoying and flawed, but they make for wonderful listening material. The narration is a real treat!

      Delete
  25. This sound SO fascinating! I love to read about literary people, and, if they're eccentrics, all the better! That boy Frank is bound to make for a very entertaining read. Whether in audio book or printed book format, I am definitely VERY interested! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my own First Chapter, First Paragraph post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria - The audio version is so well done and entertaining that I can't help but recommend it. I'm sure it is a wonderful book in print, too!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails