Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Speaking of Series...

I'm a day behind, but this week's Top Ten Tuesday is all about series. Specifically series we'd like to begin. By nature, I am a series avoider. They require more of  a commitment from the reader, you have to read them in order, the books are often very long, etc. It would be a struggle for me to come up with ten series I'd like to start, but I can certainly come up with five ... and then for good measure, five more I need to continue.

Series to begin:


Some Luck: A Novel by Jane Smiley 
This new release is the first book of a planned trilogy and the reviews sound promising.




Les Rougon Macquart by Emile Zola
I loved Therese Raquin  and have read #11 in the series, The Ladies' Paradise.  Now I want to go back to book one, The Fortune of the Rougons, and continue in order.




The Chronicles of Barsetshire by Anthony Trollope
I'm kicking myself for not getting in on Melissa and Amanda's readalong this year. 




The Passing Bells Series by Phillip Rock
"Before Downton Abbey, there was Abingdon Pryory, the elegant country home of the Grevilles—a titled English family who, along with their servants, see their world turned upside down when England goes to war." Who could ask for more?




The Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard
I actually picked up Book 1, The Light Years at the library today. Will I read it this time?



Series to continue:


The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett
I read Fall of Giants  over a year ago and have Winter of the World  ready to go. The Edge of Eternity (book 3) was recently released.




The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
I loved this volume (containing novels 1-3) when I read it nearly a decade ago. Ali is embarking on a year-long project to read all nine novels beginning in January and I am tempted to join her. I would begin with a reread.




The Good Earth Trilogy by Pearl S. Buck
Did you know The Good Earth  continues with Sons  and A House Divided?




Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
It's been a couple of years since I read book one. It's time to keep going with Birds of  Feather.




The Dublin Murder Squad by Tana French
I listened to In the Woods while walking on the beach a couple of winters ago. The Likeness  is next on my list.


Your turn...
Are you attracted to series or do you tend to avoid them? Which are your favorites?

28 comments:

  1. The Century Series and The Dublin Murder Squad are excellent JoAnn. I tend to shy away from series as well and on occasion, I didn't realize a book was part of a series until, I was already hooked ...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I used to love series. Blogging somehow changed all of that ;-)

      Delete
  2. I do want to read Tana French and had absolutely no idea The Good Earth was a trilogy! Why did this not get brought up when we had to read it in high school? I would definitely have looked for those books then when I had way more time to read!
    I have mixed feelings about Maisie Dobbs, I read the first 3 (including Birds) and then just stopped. Something about it got a bit too much for me. Maybe the way everything connects to WW1? I hope you enjoy the series more than I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - I didn't realize The Good Earth was a trilogy until several years after I'd read it. Guess I'll just have to reread and continue,

      I listened to the first Maisie Dobbs book and really liked it. My mother read it in print and wasn't quite as taken with it as I was.

      Delete
  3. I am not up on any series these days but I do really want to try the Tana French books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - In the Woods was great on audio. I'd recommend going that route.

      Delete
  4. I used to read lots of series but kind of got away from them--I don't remember why--I think that the ones I was reading were starting to feel too formula-like after awhile.
    I finished Some Luck last week and am so glad that it's part of a trilogy! I'm so interested to find out what happens next. . . I hope Jane Smiley can write quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookmammalmusings - I'm on the hold list for Some Luck and I hope the wait isn't too long. Really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  5. I have The Light Years too and am planning to put in on my TBR list for 2015. The Jane Smiley trilogy looks good. I didn't know Zola had a series--I'm into Germinal now, finally, and I like it--the translation I have is amazing. So much easier to read than I imagined it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JaneGS - Germinal is #13 in the 20 book series and it's supposed to be Zola's masterpiece. I know it's not necessary to read the books in order, but I'll probably read the first one and then skip around (esp. if they are hard to find). Which translation are you reading?

      I brought home both The Light Years and The Paying Guests from the library this week. Will probably start Water's new book first since I won;t be able to renew it.

      Delete
  6. Great post! Yes, I mostly avoid series, for the same reasons. But I've read a few--the first 2 of Follett's Century trilogy, and I've read all the Dublin Murder Squad up to the latest one (although, unfortunately, none of the books were as good for me as In the Woods, and I think I've finally stopped). And Some Luck, of course--you can bet I'll be reading the next installments from Jane Smiley! I hadn't heard of the Passing Bells series--sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leila - Your review was the first to convince me that I need to read Some Luck, then others confirmed it.

      It's disappointing to hear the rest of the Dublin Murder Squad books aren't as good. I started the series on audio, but am not sure if I'll continue that route.

      Hoping to read Winter of the World sometime this fall or winter.

      Delete
  7. I am not much of a series reader either, but I need to check that Jane Smiley trilogy. I prefer literary series as opposed to genre ones. Though, I do enjoy epic sagas like LOTR, Game of Thrones, and Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athira - I definitely prefer literary series,too. I read the first Harry Potter book aloud to my girls (even though they were capable of reading it themselves), then told them they were on their own for the rest of the series ;-)

      Delete
  8. I am a series reader! I am in the middle of Winter of the World and have read the Dublin Murder Squad series. I read The Good Earth series a long time ago. One of my favorites is the "In Death" series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - I'm going to look up the "In Death" series... haven't heard of that one!

      Delete
  9. I loved Some Luck and the Follett series. Oh man, I love the idea of rereading Forsyte -- I read the first two or three years ago and never finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth F - I recently downloaded all of the Forsyte novels to my kindle... pretty sure I'm going to join in that project. I loved the first few!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this list, JoAnn. I never knew some of these titles are a part of a series. Lots to explore. -- Arti (I have trouble leaving comments here. They won't take my ripple effects name instead they publish as anonymous. But I'll see if this one works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti - Sorry you are having trouble commenting. I will double check my settings now...thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  11. I'm terrible with series so I'm loathe to start any ever. My book cub wants to read Some Luck and I'm wondering if it will work as a stand alone because I can't see any of these ladies reading on. But there are so many interesting series here that I'm very tempted. Maybe I should make 2015 the year of the series?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - Funny, I was just wondering if I should make 2015 the year of the series, too. Pretty sure I will do all The Forsyte Saga novels, and Follett, and...

      Delete
  12. I am "in the process" of reading several of the series you mention, including the The Dublin Murder Squad, The Cazalet Chronicles, and Anthony Trollope. I'm two or three books in on each, but have let so much time go in between! I've read The Forsyte Saga TWICE, and love the idea of a readalong. But I've also been musing about starting the Ken Follett and The Passing Bells, too. Also, would love to read A Dance to the Music of Time books again... Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie C. - Oh, no! How could I forget A Dance to the Music of Time? Every year about this time I consider spending the following year reading one of them every month. Can't believe I didn't include it...

      Delete
  13. I love a good series. Like you I listened to In the Woods a few years ago and loved it. I've had The Likeness waiting for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - I'm terrible about following through with series. I could spend an entire year doing nothing but catching up!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails