Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Classics Club: Spin #7


The Classics Club Spin has been a huge success. Previous rounds have dealt me The Bell Jar, Middlemarch, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Cheerful Weather for a Wedding. The rules are the same this time, only the dates have been changed.

Here's how it works:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club list.
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday. (8/11)
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by October 6.

I'm still sticking with a slightly modified version of my original list. Here's what it looks like this time:

Pick Me, Pick Me (books I want to read now)
1. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne DuMaurier
2. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
3. Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
4. Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell
5. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Quickies
6. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
8. The Professor's House by Willa Cather
9.  Sandition by Jane Austen
10. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Favorite Authors
11. The Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton
12. What Maisie Knew by Henry James
13. They Were Sisters by Dorothy Whipple
14. The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck (reread)
15.  Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

Chunksters 
16.  Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
17.  An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
18. Villette by Charlotte Bronte
19.  Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
20.  The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

Here is a link to The Classics Club's announcement post.
Are you participating this time around? Let's Spin!

8/11/14 UPDATE: Number 17 came up for this spin. I'll be reading An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser.

14 comments:

  1. Oh I'm in! I'm in! Thanks for posting about this. I love this idea. I've seen you mention The Classic Club Spin but didn't know what it was. Off to make my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - That's great!! Can't wait to see your list.

      Delete
  2. Our local JASNA chapter will be discussing Sanditon next month, so I need to re-read that one myself. I like your first category - and not just because it includes Wild Strawberries. Happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I've never read Sandition, so it would be great if it gets selected. It makes me happy to know Wild Strawberries is there waiting for me:-)

      Delete
  3. What an interesting list! I haven't read Wives and Daughters yet but I love Gaskell so that would be fun! I've just got to read Angela Thirkell after seeing so many posts about her books. They sound excellent.

    Have a great spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleopatra - I love Gaskell, too - North and South was so, so good! High Rising is a great place to start with Thirkell, and Virago has a lovely new edition :)

      Delete
  4. That's a great list. I loved My Cousin Rachel so I hope you get that one, though I enjoyed Cranford and Villette too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I keep waiting for an excuse to start My Cousin Rachel... hopefully I'll get one on Monday ;-)

      Delete
  5. Wives and Daughters is great! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you haven't seen it yet I'd highly recommend the miniseries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois - I would be thrilled to have Wives and Daughters come up on the spin. I usually try to watch the miniseries after reading the book, so I'm glad to know this one is well done!

      Delete
  6. Some wonderful titles in here - good luck with the spin today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brona - Thanks! Can't wait for the results.

      Delete
  7. I'm new to the Classics Club. My list is made out and posted now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita - Hurray! I see you got Agatha Christie... think that's a good spin for you :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails