Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday Intro: Defending Jacob


1 | In the Grand Jury 
Mr. Logiudice:  State your name, please.
Witness:  Andrew Barber
Mr. Logiudice:  What do you do for work, Mr. Barber?
Witness:  I was an assistant district attorney in this county for 22 years.
Mr. Logiudice:  "Was." What do you do for work now?
Witness:  I suppose you'd say I'm unemployed. 
In April 2008, Neal Logiudice finally subpoenaed me to appear before the grand jury. By then it was too late. Too late for his case, certainly, but also too late for Logiudice. His reputation was already damaged beyond repair, and his career along with it. A prosecutor can limp along with a damaged reputation for a while, but his colleagues will watch him like wolves and eventually he will be forced out, for the good of the pack. I have seen it many times: an ADA is irreplaceable one day, forgotten the next.
Defending Jacob
by William Landay

I haven't read a good mystery in ages, but already suspect this will be a real page-turner. I also can't remember the last time my book club chose to read one (surely we must have once or twice), but Defending Jacob is our next selection. I'm hopeful we'll find enough to discuss.

Does the intro make you want to keep reading? If you've read this one already, do you think it will lead to a good book club discussion?

Summary from Goodreads:
Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student. 
Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He’s his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own—between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he’s tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive. 
Award-winning author William Landay has written the consummate novel of an embattled family in crisis—a suspenseful, character-driven mystery that is also a spellbinding tale of guilt, betrayal, and the terrifying speed at which our lives can spin out of control.

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book she decided to read based on the opening. Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

44 comments:

  1. I am kinda drooling over this novel!! I love legal thrillers!! I would definitely go on reading......

    Here is my intro post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gautami - It's been way too long since I last read a legal thriller!

      Delete
  2. I read this one shortly after is came out! I liked it very much but some of the people who read it on my recommendation were under-whelmed. Hope you enjoy!
    Today I am spot lighting The Unfinished Child by Theresa Shea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - Glad to know you liked it. So far I do, too!

      Delete
  3. I loved this book!! I read it a couple years ago - it's a great page turner and reminded me a little of Jodi Picoult.

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-frog-music-emma-donoghue/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - Jodi Picoult's books are definitely page-turners, too. I really like this so far.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy legal drama/thrillers so I will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoveBites AndSilk - So far this is a good one!

      Delete
  5. I read this ( a 4/5 for me) last year. Good read! Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one on my list...and I need to move it up! I do enjoy books with legal issues, and when parenting is added to the mix, I'm in. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I think the fact that parenting is involved will give us more to discuss in book club. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. This book has lots to discuss! I listened to it and it ended up on my favorite of the year list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise' - I'm so glad to hear that! I initially thought this would just be a "whodunnit" story.

      Delete
  8. I would definitely read this one. What a tough experience for any parent to go through with....To think your fourteen year old is a murderer is something that could happen to any one but something we hope won't happen to us. I would like to see how the author deals with this painful subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea - Sounds like there is much more to this book than I was expecting. Can't imagine being in that situation!

      Delete
  9. I have heard really good things about this one, especially on audio. I hope you like it! It definitely does sound like one to keep you on the edge of your seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish - Maybe I should make this a read/listen combo... so many comments about the audio version!

      Delete
  10. I listened to the audio version of this book and absolutely loved it. I hope you will too. There is definitely a lot to talk about with this book. I think your book club will enjoy talking about it--even if not everyone likes it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline - I'm so glad to know there will be plenty to discuss. Now I need to go listen to an audio clip...

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Kelley - I'm really enjoying it so far. Have a feeling it will keep me up late tonight!

      Delete
  12. I read this for a book club and there was plenty to discuss. It's well written and engaging, and touches upon family relationships and moral and ethical issues.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - I'm happy to hear your take on the book club aspect. I wasn't at the meeting when it was chosen and was surprised to hear we were going to read a mystery... this sounds like so much more!

      Delete
  13. I love a good mystery, and that sound like one I would read as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy - I think this one certainly qualifies!

      Delete
  14. Flashes of my wonderful listening experience with this book --loved it. Enjo and thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I think I'm going to download the audio and make this a read/listen combo... everyone is praising it so highly!

      Delete
  15. I do like the first paragraph JoAnn. I'd keep going. It sounds like there is a number of issues here good for discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I'm beginning to realize that there is plenty to discuss in this book!

      Delete
  16. I noticed this book because it is the 'community read' in Brookline (the town next door where I used to live) so I'm even more intrigued now that you've reading it. Wondering if it takes place there or in a town "like it?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey - The book is set in Newton and it's getting really good!!

      Delete
  17. Sometimes I'm desperately in the mood for a good mystery. Lately Tana French has hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa - Tana French is excellent! I loved listening to In the Woods last year and want to listen to the rest of her books, too.

      Delete
  18. This novel will haunt me forever. It was a truly exciting thriller, and I will never forget the ending,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza - The ending took my breath away... will never forget that one!

      Delete
    2. Yep. That ending. Wow. I listened to the book on audio and while I didn't love the reader, I thought the book was very entertaining!

      Delete
    3. Les - I have a feeling the audio version of this book would paralyze me... I'd have to listen and do nothing else!

      Delete
  19. I'm curious as to what your final thoughts will be on this one. I've long wanted to read it but never have yet. I should check if it's on audio. Anyhow it's been on my list a while. My book club picked Outlander. A little too long for me this month so I'm skipping out. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene - It's an amazing thriller and quite a few comments above mention how great it is on audio. Hope to get a review written soon.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails