Friday, February 7, 2014

The Classics Club Spin: Round 5


The Classics Club Spin has been a huge successes. Previous rounds have dealt me Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Cheerful Weather for a Wedding. The rules are the same this time, only the dates have been changed.

Here's how it works:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club list.
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday. (2/10)
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by April 2.

I'm still sticking with a slightly modified version of my original list. Here's what it looks like this time:

Pick Me, Pick Me (books I want to read now)
1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
2. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
3. Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
4. Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell
5. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Quickies
6. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
8. A Lost Lady by Willa Cather
9.  Gigi by Colette
10. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Favorite Authors
11. The Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton
12. What Maisie Knew by Henry James
13. They Were Sisters by Dorothy Whipple
14. The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck (reread)
15.  Imperial Woman by Pearl S. Buck

Chunksters 
16.  Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
17.  An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
18. Vilette by Charlotte Bronte
19.  Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
20.  Middlemarch by George Eliot

Here is a link to The Classics Club's announcement post.
Are you participating this time around? Let's Spin!

UPDATE: The results are in... the spin number is 20. Looks like I'll be reading Middlemarch by George Eliot. Wish me luck!

28 comments:

  1. I really liked both Joy Luck Club and Remains of the Day. Hope you get something you really want to read! Maybe I should do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I really like your Pick Me list especially The Bell Jar. I'm not going to participate this time around, but I will be interested to see what everyone draws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annolyn - I sat out one sping game, too. Sometimes it's good to take a break. I'd be thrilled if The Bell Jar is selected!

      Delete
  3. Crime and Punishment and A Room for One's Own are my favorites on your list. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason - it seems like I plan to read Crime and Punishment every winter, then never follow through. If it comes up on Monday, then I'll have no excuse this time!

      Delete
  4. Crime and Punishment was my choice for last Spin. I got 2 pages in before I stopped. Didn't quit though. I will try again. I have Winter of Discontent on my shelf as well. I love John Steinbeck. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bree - Crime and Punishment is the scariest title on my list;-)

      Delete
  5. Good luck on Monday. The Remains of the Day is at number 5 on my list too! I enjoyed Villette and Middlemarch but haven't read any of the others on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I'd love to read The Remains of the Day with you!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of the Wharton book on your list this time - I thought I had read most of her stuff...and now you've given me another book for my TBR pile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brona - it's definitely not one of her more well known titles, but I've wanted to read it for several years.

      Delete
  7. That sounds fascinating. I may need to do this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - it's not too late if you want to play this round :)

      Delete
  8. If you get The Bell Jar I may decide to read it at the same time--it's on my list for 2014 and I do want to read it soon. And, you cannot go wrong with Remains of the Day.

    Breakfast at Tiffanys is a classic--I didn't love it, but reading it after memorizing the movie made it interesting to analyze.

    Middlemarch and W&D are among my favorite all-time novels.

    Good luck with the spin, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything that you're particularly hoping to get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - My answer to that questions seems to change almost hourly, but this morning I'm in the mood to read Pearl S. Buck.

      Delete
  10. I like all your chunksters! Oh, a Wharton I haven't heard of! I loved her The House of Mirth and now want to read through all her works. Happy Spin reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleopatra - I love Wharton, too, and finally got around to reading The Age OG Innocence last year ...so, so good!

      Delete
  11. Nice list -- I second Jane GS, Wives & Daughter and Middlemarch are both wonderful. I haven't read Bunner Sisters but I've loved most all of Wharton -- I have Twilight Sleep on my list. And I have A Lost Lady on my list too! Good luck with your spin selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen K - only 24 hours left... can't wait to see what we'll be reading!

      Delete
  12. There are a few famous titles on your list that I've been interested in. I hope you are happy with the number when it comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - I can't wait to see which number is chosen!

      Delete
  13. I'm crossing my fingers that you end up with The Joy Luck Club! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vasilly - I've read several of tan's novels, but never got around to The Joy Luck Club. Would be happy to see that number come up!

      Delete
  14. I read Delta Wedding years ago and was unwhelmed but I think I'd enjoy it much more now. I think you'll love Lost Lady. Vilette was a slow starter for me but I really enjoyed it once I got going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - The only Welty novel I've read is The Optimist's Daughter, and I loved it! Have been meaning to read more and wouldn't mind a little push from the spin.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails