Thursday, November 14, 2013
The Classics Spin #4
The recent Classics Club spin games have been huge successes. I sat out round 3, but now it's time for round 4. The rules are the same, only the dates have been changed.
Here's how it works:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club list.
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday. (11/18)
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by January 1.
I'm still sticking with a slightly modified version of my original list, but have taken away the especially long, dense choices that I know I will not finish during the holiday season.
Pick Me, Pick Me (books I want to read now)
1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
2. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
3. Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
4. Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell
5. The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
6. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
8. A Lost Lady by Willa Cather
9. Gigi by Colette
10. Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey
11. The Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton
12. Cranford by Eizabeth Gaskell
13. They Were Sisters by Dorothy Whipple
14. The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck (reread)
15. The Pearl by John Steinbeck (reread)
Some Random Choices
16. Rabbit, Run by John Updike
17. A Game of Hide and Seek by Elizabeth Taylor
18. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
19. Sula by Toni Morrison
20. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
Here is a link to The Classics Club's announcement post. Let's Spin!
The spin number is 10. I'll be reading Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey.