Sunday, November 20, 2011

TSS: Home, At Last


Finally, we are at home for an entire weekend. The past four have involved two college Family Weekends, a couple of days with Twin A, and a weekend getaway for my husband's birthday. While the weekends themselves have been fun (and good for my backlog of audiobooks), it has been a little exhausting too. Many 'winterizing' chores have been postponed and it already feels like I'm playing catch-up with the holidays. Oh well, it will all get done eventually.

November has already been a fantastic reading month, thanks mostly to increased audiobook time. I'm slowly working my way through the pending reviews.

Reviews posted this week:
The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber
Jitters: A Quirky Little Audiobook by Adele Park
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

Giveaway:
I have a giveaway going on for Jitters, but fear a blogger comment snafu has lost some of your entries. This was a very entertaining audio and won an Audie Award in the Multi-Voiced Performance category. There is still time to stop by and let me know if you're interested. The winner will be announced on Friday.


I'm currently reading The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka and listening to State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I've read all of Patchett's books and loved them (with the exception of Bel Canto), but this is my first time listening. State of Wonder captivated me instantly. I didn't want to stop listening and may need to locate a print copy to read at home. Either way, I'm looking forward the a three and a half hour drive on Tuesday to pick up Twin A for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Thanksgiving plans are falling into place. All three girls will be home and we're hosting Thanksgiving dinner for 22, or possibly 25, on Thursday. Friday is our annual leftover feast (no Black Friday shopping for me), followed by a family Christmas party (complete with Yankee Auction) with all of my cousins on Saturday. Sunday we hope to cut down the perfect Christmas tree before Daughter #1 returns to college. I'll drive Twin A back early Monday morning.

Finally, in this spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to say how thankful I am for all of my blogging friends. In the confusion of the last month, I missed Lakeside Musing's third anniversary, so will take this opportunity to say thank you to all my readers and regular commenters. It's been an amazing three years!

18 comments:

  1. I haven't been here to visit in awhile...love the awesome fall header! And congrats on the blogoversary!

    I thoroughly enjoyed On Chesil Beach, but perhaps "enjoy" is the wrong word. Very dark and sad.

    I'm going to be reading Diana Abu-Jaber's Birds of Paradise this week. The Language of Baklava looks good...and I LOVE Baklava!

    State of Wonder is another one on my wish list.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hectic couple of weeks! I'm not surprised that you're enjoying State of Wonder. It's on many best of 2011 lists already. I hope The Buddha in the Attic is enjoyable. I read it a few months ago and really loved it. Happy 3rd blogiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to have a weekend at home! Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know what you mean! As much as I love to go, it's nice to be home from time to time to catch up on everything.

    By the way, I love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like this Thanksgiving week will be one for you to catch up on your rest at least for a couple of days. I don't do Black Friday either...nothing is worth that madness!! I thought of you the other day when I was exploring my local library and I saw a few titles that I wanted to read offered on a Playaway...I think I will get one of them for the Christmas holidays!!

    Have a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it makes you feel any better, I missed my 3 year anniversary too. I just have to laugh. Such is our lives, huh? I have State of Wonder loaded on my iPod as well, but haven't gotten to it yet. I have heard it has some slow parts, and figure the audio will be good for that.

    I am currently reading "The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus", and thought of you because the woman in the book just sent her daughter to college and is dealing with all kinds of things. You have to read this book. You would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized what I'm thankful for...not having to winterize!

    And happy blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it was a little bit of a relief to wake up at home this weekend! It's a good weekend to be home too, especially since you have a full weekend of family and fun next weekend!

    It's awesome that audiobooks are getting you through all of the traveling! I', looking forward to your review of State of Wonder,

    I hope you've been able to relax a little bit today and yesterday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like Thanksgiving for 22-25 will be a breeze after all you've done over the past several weeks LOL

    Hope your holiday is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurel-Rain Snow - Enjoy may not be the word for On Chesil Beach, but is is an amazing book. Will look forward to your thought on Birds of Paradise. I hope to read it soon, too.

    Vasilly - I can certainly see why State of Wonder has made so many of the lists... really enjoying it so far.

    Reviewsbylola - It sure is! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

    Bermudaonion - Thanks. Those beautiful leaves are all gone now. Glad I have the photo to remind of how beautiful it was.

    Staci - Oh, good! Hope you enjoy the Playaways. I'm with you on avoiding the Black Friday madness.

    Sandy - I'm off to look up The HUnchback of Neiman Marcus now - thanks!

    Softdrink - No winterizing is definitely a reason to be thankful! :-)

    Amy - Thanks, Amy. It's really been a relief to be home this weekend. Didn't even leave the house yesterday!

    Diane - Dinner for 22+ isn't as bad as it sounds. My sisters and mother all bring something... the clean-up is the worst! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 22-25 people?!?! Goodness gracious! My husband invited his extended family to our house for Christmas Eve/Christmas, so we may end up hosting at least a dozen people. But...I'm thinking that's better than traveling out of town with Elle.

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with all three girls home. It sadly gets more and more difficult as everyone gets older.

    And happy third anniversary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary and Happy Thanksgiving to the whole crowd. - Fay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trish - Looks like we're going to end up with 23 - my parents and 4 of 5 siblings plus families. In your case, I think it's better to host than travel with a little one, especially if everyone helps out. I know our years with everyone home are numbered, so I'm cherishing each one. Happy Thanksgiving, Trish!

    Readramble - Thanks, Fay... and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's quite a weekend! Hope all goes well and you have lots of fun, quality time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Stacy. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on three years of blogging and Happy Thanksgivinvg.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First things first: Congrats on your blogiversary!! I so enjoy popping over here to see what's new with you.

    I'm anxious to read On Chesil Beach. I love McEwan's prose (Atonement and Saturday are my favorites) and will read the printed version one of these days -- sooner, not later.

    I have a copy of Small Wonder in my stacks and can not wait to read it. If you loved the audio and want to read the printed version, that's the sign of a great book, in my opinion. I just finished The 19th Wife and felt the same way. Very good listen/read!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathleen - Thanks! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    Les - I can't believe it's been three years already. Glad to hear you enjoyed Saturday. I was wondering which McEwan to read next, and that one is on my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails