Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Au Revoir, July

And so, Paris in July draws to a close. Karen and Tamara have hosted a month filled with French-themed books, movies, food, art, music, travel and more. My month has focused on French-themed reading - nonfiction, a novel, short stories and essays. There are still two books I won't finish before the end of the month, but would like to mention.


Paris Was Ours by Penelope Rowlands
The book opens with Rowland's own reflection on the city, "I'm a Parisian of the recurrent, revolving-door kind." Her essay is followed by the thoughts and observations of thirty-two other writers who made Paris there own. They write about money, fashion, dating, parenting, food, and more. My initial plan was to read the book cover-to-cover, but I've decided instead to space the essays out over the rest of the summer. This is a book to be savored.


The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
My current audiobook is proving to be the perfect follow-up to A Moveable Feast, adding further fuel to my Hemingway fixation. It's a fictionalized account of the Heminway's time in Paris, told from Hadley's perspective. I have to keep reminding myself this is fiction. Reading Hemingway's early stories concurrently is enriching the experience.

Preparations are also underway for next summer. Knowing I've been unable to find any of Colette's novels or short stories locally, my daughter brought this treasure home from New York. I wonder if I'll be able wait that long....


I'll close our trip with Ernest Hemingway's final paragraph of A Moveable Feast:
"There is never any ending to Paris and the memory of each person who has lived in it differs from that of any other. We always return to it no matter who we were or how it was changed or with what difficulties, or ease, it could be reached. Paris was always worth it and you received return for whatever you brought to it. But this is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy."
Thank you, again, Karen and Tamara. I've had a wonderful time in Paris this month.

18 comments:

  1. You would think, with me living in Florida, that I would have read Hemingway. I'm almost afraid to admit that I've never read anything of his. If you could give me one recommendation, what would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I only got around to doing one Paris post this month but I enjoyed doing it. I'll try for two or three in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to read The Paris Wife and some Collette as well. I wish I could have participated in Paris in July but I just new it wouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely book your daughter brought home from here. I think it'll be tough to wait until next summer to read it!

    I'm thrilled to know you're enjoying The Paris Wife. I've had my eye on it but couldn't decide. I like the idea of reading A Moveable Feast first.... ah, more reading plans!

    Paris Was Ours sounds captivating, too. I'm going to put it on my list of books to read. I'm also making a note for myself about Paris in July, I wasn't aware of this reading theme but I love all of the Paris-related books, movies, art, recipes etc. I've seen around the blogs.

    I hope you're having a nice weekend and it's not too hot by you. The temps are creeping up here but nothing like last week (whew!)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have added both of these books to my TBR list - thank you very much :) I will be continuing my vacation in Paris through next Sunday, but I hope that these two books will allow me to linger in this beautiful city just a bit longer....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope to go to Paris next July. This summer was too busy with my mom so sick.

    Here's my Sunday Salon for this week:
    Sunday Salon: How to Read, Use, and Abuse Beautiful and Pointless Novels Like a Professor

    And a reminder: Today is the last day for you to throw your hat into the ring for my July Giveaway! Win a $25 Amazon gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your posts so much that I am planning on joining this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some of Collette's books in French if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear that you have enjoyed the month being in Paris! It seemed to go really quickly didn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paris Was Ours sounds interesting...I'm going to have to add that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoyed your month in Paris by way of books. I have The Paris Wife on my iPod and hope to get to it soon. (I'm hoping to read more Hemingway soon as well).

    Have a great August JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy - I'd go with A Moveable Feast and then maybe some short stories. Didn't think much of Hemingway's novels in high school. I should reread them now.

    C.B. James - I'm already looking forward to spending next July in Paris.

    Reviewsbylola - There's always next year :-)

    Amy - I don't think the Colette novels will last until next summer either! Hope you can join in next time around.

    Molly - I am amazed that you have time to comment while you are in Paris. It sounds like you're having the trip of a lifetime!

    Deb Nance - How wonderful that you will be able to travel to Paris again!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a trip within the next couple of years, too.

    Staci - So glad you'll be traveling with us next summer!!

    Marie - I WISH I could read them in French but, sadly, I can't. Thanks so much...

    Karen - The month just flew by. Thank you so much for hosting this event!

    Softdrink - I'm guessing you'll love this!

    Diane - Still in the early stages of The Paris Wife audio, but really enjoying it. It's nice to have Hemingway's early stories to read along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although I've been too out of it to comment this past month, I have read and enjoyed all of your Paris posts. I too want to read The Paris Wife. Perhaps I need to think about joining in next summer. It looked like loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margot - I hope you are feeling better... sounds like it's been a tough month. The Paris Wife audio is really very good. I hope you can join in Paris in July next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the beautiful places books take us... I bought A Moveable Feast the other day, but I think I'll save it for fall, when I'm back into my routine. And I better hurry up because someone promised me a trip to Paris if I graduate in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ivana - I think you'll enjoy A Moveable Feast whenever you get to it. How exciting to have a trip to Paris to look forward to... good with the new semester!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I quite enjoyed Paris in July, and seeing some wonderfully interesting books make their way to my tbr. I haven't read either Paris Was Ours or, The Paris Wife, but I did read some Colette, which was my first foray into her world, and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anothercookiecrumbles - Oh, Colette is wonderful! Hope you can join us for Paris in July next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails