Thursday, July 1, 2010

Paris in July...now departing

Welcome to Paris in July! Karen at BookBath and Tamara at Thyme for Tea have joined forces to host a blogging event that celebrates their love of all thing French and Parisian. They write:
We are two friends with a deep interest and love of French culture and way of life - although we experience and demonstrate this passion in very different ways. Karen has only recently discovered the magic of Paris - the city, the architecture, the fashion and the literature whereas the French experience has been a part of Tamara's life for a long time, leading her to learn the language and experience the culture in a deeper way. But for both of us as Australian's, the reality of traveling to France is a costly and timely experience - so we need to find ways of bringing France to us!

So, in order to help us do that we will be jointly hosting a French themed blogging experience running from the 1st - 31st July this year called "Paris In July".

The aim of the month is to celebrate our French experiences through reading, watching, listening to, observing, cooking and eating all things French!

There will be no rules or targets in terms of how much you need to do or complete in order to be a part of Paris In July - just blog about anything French and you can join in.

Of course, I have all sorts of grand plans for the month - Short Story Mondays featuring French authors, reading Cheri and The Last of Cheri by Colette (I've just finished Cheri!), finally taking A Moveable Feast down from the shelf, trying new French recipes, and maybe even watching a French movie...

This quote from my current read, and summer book club selection seems an appropriate send off:

"There's been so much said and written about Paris that it's daunting to hazard a statement of my own. That city just has something. I can't think of any other place so idealized, so longed for, so sighed over...." (page 161-162)

by Molly Wizenberg

Bon voyage!


18 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join in this summer, but I did once spend most of July in Paris. It is very hot, there are lots of tourists, but it was wonderful.

    I love Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect quote for Paris in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris is lovely (not so sure about Parisians, but then I'm English, so they detest me and my accent as a matter of course). Not sure if I'll get around to joining this, but I do have a copy of 'Le Pere Goriot' which I haven't managed to start yet.

    The prospect of ploughing through that much French in the near future does put me off a bit though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read Colette AND A Movable Feast!
    LOTS of great movies to consider, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C.B. James - I've heard that the only people left in Paris in July are the tourists, but it wouldn't matter to me either. What a great way to spend the month!

    Joan Hunter Dunn - Thanks! I came across that quote in my reading last night and knew it had to be included with this post.

    Tony - That seems to be the reputation of Parisians, doesn't it? All my reading for the month will definitely be in English. I suppose I could muddle through in Spanish, but I have no French at all.

    Care - Collete is wonderful! I loved Cheri, and have the movie at the top of my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Paris In July Joann! Your plans look great - I'm reading Cheri at the moment and loving it. It is my first Colette read but I can tell it won't be my last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have A Moveable Feast and a little Colette in my future too. This event is such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect quote; it is hard to summarize how one feels about Paris if it isn't just in sighs (of contentment over the food, the beauty, the fragrances...). I'd like to read A Moveable Feast as well, either way, it'll be fun to participate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade Life is wonderful and goes great with the theme. One of these days I will visit Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely way to begin your sojourn to Paris, JoAnn! Paris truly is an "idealized" city.
    I'm hoping to read some Colette, too...Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Homemade Life and have been looking forward to reading it. I will live vicariously through you. Paris . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to participate, but I have so much planned reading already that I don't think I'll be able to..

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I'm looking forward to your Parisian posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does sound like fun, but too many other things going on it seems.

    Say Hi to Zelda for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen - Thank you! I know I'll be reading more Colette, too.

    Frances - This event was such a great idea! I'm enjoying all the posts already.

    Bellezza - The quote about Paris rang so true for me. This will be a great month!

    Staci - I hope to get there one day, too!

    DS - I'll look forward to seeing which Colette you choose!

    Beth F - A Homemade Life is just wonderful. I hope you can get to it soon.

    Irisonbooks - I know you have a lot going on right now, but I'm sure you'll enjoy reading everyone's posts.

    Margot - This is going to be fun! Can't wait to see the French activities people choose.

    Diane - It'll be fun to read all the posts even if you can't join in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to going back to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a lovely quote with which to begin our journey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stacybuckeye - It's going to be a great trip!

    Electra - I'm glad you'll be joining us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails