Tuscan Bean Soup is one of our favorites. A basic version of this recipe was published in Better Homes and Gardens magazine a year or two ago. My addition of sausage and pasta (along with a loaf of warm bread!) makes this a hearty winter meal.
Tuscan Bean Soup
1 cup chopped carrots
1 small onion, chopped
3 T olive oil
2 - 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 carton ( 32 oz.) + 1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
(may need more at the end)
5 ounces fresh baby spinach
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 cup ditalini pasta, cooked and drained
2 - 3 T dried Italian seasonings
- cook sausage; set aside
- cook carrots and onion in oil ~ 3 minutes
- return sausage to pan; add beans, broth, seasoning
- bring to boil; slightly mash beans
- reduce heat; simmer uncovered 8 minutes
- add spinach and cooked pasta
- stir to combine; add additional broth if needed
Serve topped with grated Italian cheese.
* I always seem to add an additional can of broth, and should probably change the recipe to read 2 cartons.