Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Books Read

Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb
Downtown: My Manhattan by Pete Hamill
North River by Pete Hamill
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
Little Bee by Chris Cleave
French Milk by Lucy Knisley
Someone at a Distance by Dorothy Whipple
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
Two Guys Read Jane Austen by Steve Chandler and Terrence N. Hill
A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlene de Blasi
The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Shawl by Cynthia Ozick
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
Brooklyn: A Novel by Colm Toibin
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
The Big House by George Howe Colt
Ethel & Ernest by Raymond Briggs
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield
The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever
The Shack by William Paul Young
Therese Raquin by Emile Zola
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Austenland by Shannon Hale
Fire In The Blood by Irene Nemirovsky
A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

*click on title for review

5 comments:

  1. You've read some incredible books this year! Any favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic list of books in my opinion, JoAnn! I hope you don't mind if I use it to choose books from in the coming months! I have meant to read more of Hamill for a long time, I still have "Kitchen" to read and Geraldine Brooks and Wilkie Collins are on my list for the coming year. I also see Colm Toibin and Sebastian Barry both of whom I will also be reading this year. It looks to me like We have very similar taste in books & authors, me thinks!

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy - Favorites are here:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2009/12/few-of-my-favorite-things-2009.html

    Amy - I've noticed that our reading tastes are very similar! My post about Pete Hamill will get written eventually... I loved hearing him speak a few weeks ago, and can highly recommend his newest book, North River.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list of books that you have read.

    The Woman in White has been on my to-read list for a long time. I really must read it...hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna - Thanks! I'm very happy with all the great books I read in 2009. Hope you get to Wilkie Collins soon. He's the master of the 'sensation' novel. I think I liked The Moonstone even better than The Woman in White. Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails