Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Year of Reading Dangerously


After much consideration, I've decided to join in the fun. Here's the challenge:

Read 12 books you deem "dangerous." between January 1st and December 31st 2009. They may be banned or challenged books, new-to-you genres, books that seem to inhabit a permanent space on your stacks, or authors you're afraid of. The possibilities are endless! If it's dangerous to you, it's challenge-worthy to us!

There is a great list of suggestions offered, or participants may choose their own dangers. My plan is to include some classics, contemporary fiction outside my comfort zone, non-fiction, a chunkster or two (books over 500 pages scare me!), new authors I've been afraid to tackle, TBR's that have been on the shelf far too long, and maybe even a graphic novel - I've never read one. I'll list them here, then link to the review once it's been completed.

1. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri - short stories
2. The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike
3. The Shack by William Paul Young
4. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (a graphic novel)
5.The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt ( non-fiction)
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to join in on this one. Like you, I haven't chosen all of my books, yet. I read Therese Raquin late last year and loved it. I'll be interested to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank, Lisa. I bought Therese Raquin a couple months ago after reading a blog review. It probably was yours! Hope to get to it later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting challenge. Perhaps I'll try to catch if I soon get done with the other challenges I've joined this year. I can think of a few classics that I'd consider "dangerous" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark David - I seem to be falling behind in this challenge! It's time to get focused...again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Be sure to check back, I always respond. Due to a recent increase in spam, all comments are moderated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails